Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am at the beginning of the new spec AQA Philosophy AS level year and really want to do well. I have been trying to read around the subject but can feel myself getting lost. The official textbooks seem to get bad reviews on Amazon and I literally cannot afford to waste money (£25 each!) and time on wobbly textbooks. I can happily read around the subject, and will do, but really need to ace the exam.

I know you are busy with your university courses but I would really appreciate it if you could recommend the books that stuck to the specification and helped you get that A/A*.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, no one has achieved an A* in the new AQA specification as the first sitters of the exam (myself included) have only sat their AS exam this June. For some background, the new specification is a lot harder than the old one, and AQA seem to be marking it more harshly! I was one of only four people to get an A at my college this year when last year 20 people did! I used Dan Cardinal's and Jeremy Hayward's textbook as my bible - there is absolutely no way I would have got an A only using my own/my teachers class notes. They simply were not detailed enough. It is a lot harder to read and comprehend than the grey one, this cannot be denied, but purely because the specification is a lot more difficult, this detail is vital. I can invariably recommend this textbook. I would read the whole thing, take notes from it, and then make sure you understand the whole specification. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very, very much for giving such a detailed reply. I was really feeling out of my depth and had read so many threads about disastrous AS level results. I just had a terrible feeling that my notes and handouts were not going to be remotely good enough. I have ordered your suggested books from Amazon and will plough through them. I have the specification printed and only hope that I do as well as you in the exams!

Once again, thank you, thank you!

Hey!

My philosophy teacher said follow "Micheal lacewing" books thoroughly as they highlight the specification down to a T and that's what the examiners want. it's complicated in some places but you'll get through it - just the advice he gave, not influencing you're choices ))

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Going off what 'suprisedcake' said, this new spec has been very harshly (some even see it as unfairly) marked. Just like surpisedcake, I was only 1 out of 4 people to get an A in my philosophy AS exam this june. Although Lacewing does have good text books that will be relevant there is one specific book that I used throughout my AS year and it was very clear and made a lot of things easier to understand. Although textbooks are good, try to vary your revision throughout the year, there are plenty of online articles, lectures, videos, podcasts etc that are great and will help you have a clearer understanding on what you are trying to learn.

Hope this helps, message me if you need anymore advice!

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.