Turn on thread page Beta

Depression and retaking AS exams during A2? (Really need advice/help) watch

ReputationRep:
    Last year I got;
    B in Biology
    D in Physics
    E in Chemistry
    U in Maths
    I'm now doing a level 3 BTEC in IT but am going to ask/beg the college today to see if they could let me back on with Chemistry, Physics and Biology, despite needing 3 D's to continue to A2.
    Short version- (You can read the stuff after this if you want more context)
    Know I failed because I didn't work hard enough, however think I had depression last year (made worse by the fact I did no work), and felt sort of suicidal during exams due to the stress. Worried this will happen again this year but determined to work far harder, and know what to do.

No uni ideas or career ideas, and I'm worried I'll come out of this with nothing, or come out with somewhat decent grades and not know what to do at uni as a job still. Don't know if I should tell parents/college how bad the depression got. (Show them this post?) (Went to GP, and go to a youth counselling group on Tuesdays, but no medication).

If I carry on doing the BTEC, I can't really see a future, but don't know if doing a levels will make it worse. I don't even know if the college will let me do a levels now.
    Has anyone ever done this?
    How did you do it?
    However, doing this would mean retaking both Chemistry AS exams, when the college only allows 1 to be retaken, and I got a U in Unit 1 and an E in unit 2, so that E would pull my grade down even if I miraculously got all As in the other exams.
    Is it possible to do one of these exams at a private centre as an external candidate?

Also, doing this would mean 10 exams at A2, and I struggled with 9 at AS, but I didn't work hard enough, and know where I went wrong (at one point my teacher predicted me an A at Physics, so I suppose I'm capable), I left all my revision to the Easter holidays, didn't go over stuff I didn't get after class, and didn't make decent notes until the end, which meant, despite having an epiphany and suddenly being able to understand AS Chemistry, I didn't have enough time for past papers, and so panicked and blanked in the exam.
    Has anyone done this and managed to pull off decent grades?

Last year I also feel I was suffering from depression, which was made worse by doing no work outside class, and now I finally have some motivation for something for the first time in a year, despite having no uni plans or career aspirations. (Feel like life's pointless at this point tbh.)

I'm just worried this may mean I feel worse than last year due to the stress (felt like I wanted to end it all during exams, but I'm determined to never feel that bad again, but feel like the depression will only get worse if I carry on for 2 years on a BTEC) and worried about failing again and coming out with nothing.

I'm also worried about having no career ideas or even know what I want to study at uni, and to an extent, don't know if I really enjoy my AS subjects, but I can't handle the guilt of knowing I didn't work hard enough, and I don't think I really enjoy the BTEC.

I'm really worried about telling the college all this, and my parents, as they never wanted me to do the BTEC in the first place. (Should I tell them how bad I really felt during exams?) I don't even know if I'm doing the right thing for me.

Has anyone else ever done this and if so, how did you pull it off?
    I'm not looking for all As Bs/Cs/Ds would be fine at this point.
    Thinking about making a grow your grades thread if I do do this, as I think it will help motivate me.

ReputationRep:
    You can retake exams at a private centre. This might sound odd. But I would try and stick with maths if you can, it's a lot easier to retake and get A's in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltAndBurn)
    Last year I got;
    B in Biology
    D in Physics
    E in Chemistry
    U in Maths
    I'm now doing a level 3 BTEC in IT but am going to ask/beg the college today to see if they could let me back on with Chemistry, Physics and Biology, despite needing 3 D's to continue to A2.
    Short version- (You can read the stuff after this if you want more context)
    Know I failed because I didn't work hard enough, however think I had depression last year (made worse by the fact I did no work), and felt sort of suicidal during exams due to the stress. Worried this will happen again this year but determined to work far harder, and know what to do.

No uni ideas or career ideas, and I'm worried I'll come out of this with nothing, or come out with somewhat decent grades and not know what to do at uni as a job still. Don't know if I should tell parents/college how bad the depression got. (Show them this post?) (Went to GP, and go to a youth counselling group on Tuesdays, but no medication).

If I carry on doing the BTEC, I can't really see a future, but don't know if doing a levels will make it worse. I don't even know if the college will let me do a levels now.
    Has anyone ever done this?
    How did you do it?
    However, doing this would mean retaking both Chemistry AS exams, when the college only allows 1 to be retaken, and I got a U in Unit 1 and an E in unit 2, so that E would pull my grade down even if I miraculously got all As in the other exams.
    Is it possible to do one of these exams at a private centre as an external candidate?

Also, doing this would mean 10 exams at A2, and I struggled with 9 at AS, but I didn't work hard enough, and know where I went wrong (at one point my teacher predicted me an A at Physics, so I suppose I'm capable), I left all my revision to the Easter holidays, didn't go over stuff I didn't get after class, and didn't make decent notes until the end, which meant, despite having an epiphany and suddenly being able to understand AS Chemistry, I didn't have enough time for past papers, and so panicked and blanked in the exam.
    Has anyone done this and managed to pull off decent grades?

Last year I also feel I was suffering from depression, which was made worse by doing no work outside class, and now I finally have some motivation for something for the first time in a year, despite having no uni plans or career aspirations. (Feel like life's pointless at this point tbh.)

I'm just worried this may mean I feel worse than last year due to the stress (felt like I wanted to end it all during exams, but I'm determined to never feel that bad again, but feel like the depression will only get worse if I carry on for 2 years on a BTEC) and worried about failing again and coming out with nothing.

I'm also worried about having no career ideas or even know what I want to study at uni, and to an extent, don't know if I really enjoy my AS subjects, but I can't handle the guilt of knowing I didn't work hard enough, and I don't think I really enjoy the BTEC.

I'm really worried about telling the college all this, and my parents, as they never wanted me to do the BTEC in the first place. (Should I tell them how bad I really felt during exams?) I don't even know if I'm doing the right thing for me.

Has anyone else ever done this and if so, how did you pull it off?
    I'm not looking for all As Bs/Cs/Ds would be fine at this point.
    Thinking about making a grow your grades thread if I do do this, as I think it will help motivate me.
    talk to ur friends and family fuk what tsr ppl fink

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.