funny question Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi i know this sound really stupid but on uni open days do many people go with their parents i dont know whether to go with my mates of parents any ideas lol!!!!!!!
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to 3 open days, all of them with my mates, as your parents aren't gonna be at uni with you. Even if you go up by yourself, most people are really nice and easy to talk to, so you may arrive alone, but you won't be lonely. However, your parents might want to see the uni also. If that's the case, I'd go to see it first with your mates, and then if you like it an your parents want to see it go back with them, as this will enable you to see it a 2nd choice, and ensure you really do want to spend at least 3 years there.

pHIL
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to 4 open days, 3 of them were post-application and I went with my mum. Depends what you prefer really.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
but where me and my mates dnt wanna do the same thing we find that our open days sumtimes clash so should i go by myself or not/ lol
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i went both with my parents and without to various open days, i really doesnt matter in my opinion. with friends owever, u need to be more motivated to do something!
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My plan is to go to a Uni far far away from home and my mum is scared of driving so I may rope in some mates.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, you gotta remember that even if your mates wanta go home, but there's a talk you wanna go to, you gotta have the strength to go, even if it means going alone.

Phil
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did you like it? Did you find the town better than oxford?

Phil
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i loved the town bit of oxford- it's such a cute place, you feel like you're in a different world.

i'm kinda changing my mind about applying tho.

lou xxx
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
hi i know this sound really stupid but on uni open days do many people go with their parents i dont know whether to go with my mates of parents any ideas lol!!!!!!!
[/b]Advantage of going with your parents:[/b]

You have no travel expenses

Disadvantage of going with your parents:

Parents ask really silly questions that you already know the answers to, but haven't bothered to tell them yet.

You don't feel quite so comfortable going to the pub, or trying to meet other people that are there.

They try to make your decisions for you.

Advantage of going with your mates:

At least you know someone there.
More element of fun, making a proper decent day out of it.
You get to travel without your parents.

Disadvtage of going with your mates:

You have to make your own way there, and that normally costs.

By the way, I travelled everywhere, by myself.
From Mansfield, NOTTS to:

St Andrews (Plane)
Southampton (Coach)
Durham (Coach)
Sheffield (Bus)
Leeds (Bus + Train)
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by lou p lou
i loved the town bit of oxford- it's such a cute place, you feel like you're in a different world.

i'm kinda changing my mind about applying tho.

lou xxx
I loved the town bit also, it's so student orientated, and people are so nice. Why ya changing your mind though, and what subject where you looking at?

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
It doesnt matter either way! I'm an Oxofrd student who ran two college open days this year and we had a mixture of students alone, with mates and wth parents. Nobody will mind, whichever you feel most comfy with. Be aware though that lots of Oxford open days are really crap- some colleges don't put that much thought into organising them so visit as many as you can to get an overall picture- but not more then about 7 as you'll stop taking anything in.
There are more in September, so come and see us then!
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't take them! I went to one with my mum and then refused to go to anymore. I got dragged on every single tour which was pretty annoying cause it was in London and this involved quite some walking. And she just kept asking loads of questions which were so mumsy and embarrassing. Plus she forced Michael Jackson on me for 3 hours on the drive down.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise