The Student Room Group

Freshers' Week and anxiety - how to handle it

I'm applying to university this year to study English Lit, and all this talk of freshers' all over social media is making me quite anxious about some aspects of starting university.

My 'top two' are King's College London and Sussex, and I'd love to hear from anyone who is either going there or is a fresher or was a fresher at some point in the near-ish past.

I really don't like drinking, and situations such as clubs or large parties where I don't know many people are my worst nightmare because they make me very anxious and have triggered anxiety attacks in the past. This is, I'm sure you'll agree, not the best way in the world to start university. I'm really excited about the studying aspect of uni, but I don't want this to be tarnished because of one week.

At either King's or Sussex, is there a large drinking culture? Are people likely to exclude me from social groups if I decide not to go to parties? Is there a good mental health support network that is easily used? I haven't even got in yet but this is bringing my anxiety back and I'm not happy about it!! Any tips or advice would be really welcome, thank you!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest