Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if part of the problem is that there are too many posts stored on the server? if that would help solve part of the porblem, everyone should start going thru some old threds/posts of no value and start deleting them. I'll happily so so...

just a thought?

ReputationRep:
    good idea, there are far 2 many posts that no one reads anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I would have thought that's just taking up disk space more than anything, the only impact that would have on performance is if people were continually searching through old threads, which doesn't seem to happen very often. Anyway, I reckon the effect of having old threads lying around is negligible compared the effect of loads of users banging the refresh button every second.
    i dunno, was kinda hoping a mod would answer me...twas just an idea anyway... but sooner or later someone's gonna have to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well unless the disk space on the server keeps growing and growing! It must be taking up a huge amount of space by now. Probably old threads could be archived off onto a separate server somehow.
    well it might take longer to query the database with more posts around. so it could improve the problem....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    I was wondering if part of the problem is that there are too many posts stored on the server? if that would help solve part of the porblem, everyone should start going thru some old threds/posts of no value and start deleting them. I'll happily so so...

just a thought?
    Well, they take up disk space, but unless people are searching the forums they shouldn't cause much effect. Also, one persons posts aren't really going to have much of a dent on the 650000 posts. Plus, people are too protective of their post counts.

Maybe one day we'll have another cull.

ReputationRep:
    As a stop-gap measure - I wonder if modifying the actual server busy message to warn people not to frantically refresh, would alleviate the load. For example, it could say wait 30 seconds, or whatever time was deemed suitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Well, they take up disk space, but unless people are searching the forums they shouldn't cause much effect. Also, one persons posts aren't really going to have much of a dent on the 650000 posts. Plus, people are too protective of their post counts.

Maybe one day we'll have another cull.
    oh right, i know one persons post wouldnt but if everyone starts doin it, maybe that would help?

and surely having less "server busy" is better than havin high post counts?

PS: is it only subs that can delete threads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    As a stop-gap measure - I wonder if modifying the actual server busy message to warn people not to frantically refresh, would alleviate the load. For example, it could say wait 30 seconds, or whatever time was deemed suitable.
    or maybe a countdown counter lets say 30 secs? that automatically refreshess ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    or maybe a countdown counter lets say 30 secs? that automatically refreshess ?
    Or maybe "The server is too busy at the moment. You can help relieve the pressure on the servers by pressing Alt and F4"

Would only work for a little while though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Or maybe "The server is too busy at the moment. You can help relieve the pressure on the servers by pressing Alt and F4"

Would only work for a little while though
    :rolleyes: obviously didnt work on you

ReputationRep:
    I've deleted 200 of mine over the past few days.. just pointless ones really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    I've deleted 200 of mine over the past few days.. just pointless ones really.
    hey thanks, but we need more people to do it though if it were to make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    i've deleted most of my dazya argument ones, maybe he can do the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    i've deleted most of my dazya argument ones, maybe he can do the same
    lol thanks, but cant you trim it down to bout 5000?

ReputationRep:
    lol thanks, but cant you trim it down to bout 5000?
    wtf, that's gonna take me ages. i think when members get banned all their posts should disappear too that would help

ReputationRep:
    everybody keep refreshing their page

it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazzyaa911)
    everybody keep refreshing their page

it helps
    It just makes the server run slower :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    It just makes the server run slower :rolleyes:
    your stupidity has just shown right through i knew that silly! hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazzyaa911)
    your stupidity has just shown right through i knew that silly! hehe
    hhmmmm...... well I was warning the more technophobic members not to do it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    hhmmmm...... well I was warning the more technophobic members not to do it :rolleyes:
    loooooooooooooollll hahaha

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.