Turn on thread page Beta

server busy, would this help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    lol...only 13 threads,

that was the first page of her threads, i couldnt be bothered trawling through them all,

general chat - happy clappy? wtf? lol....
    what an objectonable young boy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    lol nice analogy

But I think the old pots are better kept... they form a very good hisorical archive
    UKL's very own library.

Soon, it'll be so useful, it'll be given its own research rating by those that do university rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    UKL's very own library.

Soon, it'll be so useful, it'll be given its own research rating by those that do university rankings.
    Yeah... see thats an argument we should use when we become a charity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Doing my bit, just got rid of 2.5Mb of attachments as I was using nearly 9Mb...
    That won't help though. The problems are because of the volume of traffic, not the hard disk space used :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That won't help though. The problems are because of the volume of traffic, not the hard disk space used :rolleyes:
    Well, UKL is far off another websites' forum, Digital Spy, which regular has about 1000 users online at the same time!

It's most users ever online record is over 4000!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Well, UKL is far off another websites' forum, Digital Spy, which regular has about 1000 users online at the same time!

It's most users ever online record is over 4000!
    That's impressive

I've noticed that its only when the database is accessed that there are server busy messages... I wonder what database is used? I know access would have a post limit of about 60k before crashing... maybe theres a similar problem with UKL? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    what an objectonable young boy

hahaah nah, just concerned with cluttering crap on this forum lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    hahaah nah, just concerned with cluttering crap on this forum lol
    ask the mods to delete it then if you're that bothered. it takes me too long to go through it all.

ReputationRep:
    vBulletin uses mySQL doesn't it?
    I think so.

Digital Spy, the forum I just mentioned, does, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    vBulletin uses mySQL doesn't it?
    That should deal with it OK, and since it's PHP powered that suggests so. But phpBB for example can be configured for other databases... I'm wondering if it's a different database thats bean configured to work with vBulletin

ReputationRep:
    Well MySQL can apparantly cope with upto 100,000 connections at a given time, MS SQL Server can cooe wiuth 1 million. I am sure MySQL can easily cope with this. I think things like attachments as Pig suggested probably don't help.

I am sure must users would rather sacrifice features for reliability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Well MySQL can apparantly cope with upto 100,000 connections at a given time, MS SQL Server can cooe wiuth 1 million. I am sure MySQL can easily cope with this. I think things like attachments as Pig suggested probably don't help.

I am sure must users would rather sacrifice features for reliability.
    Wow thats a lot

I would certainly prefer a straight-forward and simple yet reliable forum to a complicated, feature-ridden one that crashes all the time :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    this may soudn harsh why are some people so protective over post counts, its only a forum!!lol

ReputationRep:
    what about deleting old threads altogether

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    what about deleting old threads altogether
    already suggested it, but normal users cant do it and subscirbers dont want to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    already suggested it, but normal users cant do it and subscirbers dont want to do it
    Subscribers cant do it properly either they still remain in the database.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats a lot

I would certainly prefer a straight-forward and simple yet reliable forum to a complicated, feature-ridden one that crashes all the time :rolleyes:
    The server busy message is to stop the server itself crashing.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, server busy messages are not disk space problems and they are not bandwidth problems. Disk space problems would pretty much crash it entirely and bandwidth problems would just make it appear slow. So don't bother deleting posts or worrying about attachments, you're wasting your time. Server busy messages are exactly that - the server is too busy processing user actions. It's running out of CPU power to actually run the forum software. The only thing that will cure it - besides upgrading the server or changing to less intensive forum software - is using it less. So do what PQ suggests - when you hit server busy messages, bugger off and come back later.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.