Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is my second day at university and it's been ****. Everyone I meet is ditching me and it puts me off making any "friends".

Everyone seems to know each other and makes little groups. I thought you were meant to feel a part, whereas I feel like an outsider.

The worst thing is, I don't know whether the degree will get me into the industry I want.

I'm on business and management and want to get into IT or video game industry...

ReputationRep:
    My heart bleeds for you honestly , I backed out the last minute and got a job with a good salary.

I'd suggest if they don't want to know or you don't fit in just leave it's not the end of the world , I don't even have a Maths GCSE at all and I'm earning £24,000 a year.

At the end of the day do you want to be spending 3 years of your life in an environment and with people that you don't get along with or they aren't interested in you as a friend.

Sound's a total nightmare , I'd rather paint the Eiffel Tower for free than be miserable for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    It's only the second day, at least give it a few more weeks before you start making important decisions

ReputationRep:
    If it's only been two days I would definitely give it a few more before you make a judgement. Actively get out there and go to some society stuff, or try to engage with people in your subject, maybe suggest a social activity for everyone. I'm sure that the 'groups' forming are just people who are scared of having no friends, and within a couple of weeks they'll realise they have nothing in common and the friendship groups will re align.

Having said that, if after that you find that you really don't like it, leave. There's no point making yourself miserable, and you can always reapply before the next UCAS deadline.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you're saying. People expect freshers to be full of people wanting to meet new people but it wasn't like that at all for me. People made little groups within their flats and stuck to them for the whole of freshers. Then their group spoke to another group, etc. I personally found it daunting to talk to other people without being in a group. People also go on about how you should get yourself out there and get involved with everything, but it's easier said than done when people are so engrossed in their little groups.

I personally didn't enjoy freshers, and found that university got better as the year progressed. I remember feeling like you this time last year and being so disappointed with university. I'd personally give it a bit longer and see how it goes, things usually start to settle after freshers.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by LaBrigade)
    It is my second day at university and it's been ****. Everyone I meet is ditching me and it puts me off making any "friends".

Everyone seems to know each other and makes little groups. I thought you were meant to feel a part, whereas I feel like an outsider.

The worst thing is, I don't know whether the degree will get me into the industry I want.

I'm on business and management and want to get into IT or video game industry...
    Firstly ace avatar, so psyched for Fallout 4!

As for freshers's, get to the society fair and sign up for everything that interests you (they normally have a GameSoc or something similar).

Also, crucial bit of advice, because I made this mistake, actually go to the societies you sign up fort an get involved. It adds so much to the student experience and you will meet people, do things and talk **** about stuff you would never have thought possible.

Finally, everyone is in the same boat, so relax and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    stick it out you've been there 5 minutes. Just chat to lots of people. You will find people who like you

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, you are not the only one facing such problem. I had the same feelings during my first year. It will get better! Just give it a chance)))

ReputationRep:
    yeah my first year was weird on the first Monday I tried to get some thing going I knocked on a few doors the first girl thought it was a date and said no i decided to go back to her when I had big group the second door I was told and I quote "maybe you should hang out with your brothers friends" at that point I decided no to even try it turned out they never wen out any way apart from the beautiful Lana it think her nam was she was nice but really. i joined societies and made friends on my course hung out with the people opposite and on the top floor and some ransomers one who I never saw again and my brothers friends good times.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and your on the wrong course try transferring to video game programming or something like that you want to do.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.