Turn on thread page Beta

UK universities continue to slip down world rankings watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    QS rankings featured in the Guardian

Both Oxford and Cambridge have slipped a place while other British unis llike Durham lose global ground by up to 31 places.

Interesting Imperial has dropped from 2 to 8 because of a change in methodology despite these rankings being said to be the most "authoritative" of their kind.

Do you think league tables are worth looking at when considering uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    QS rankings featured in the Guardian

Both Oxford and Cambridge have slipped a place while other British unis llike Durham lose global ground by up to 31 places.

Interesting Imperial has dropped from 2 to 8 because of a change in methodology despite these rankings being said to be the most "authoritative" of their kind.

Do you think league tables are worth looking at when considering uni?
    League tables are a strange beast. They can be quite useful for comparing individual aspects of Universities but are very bad at giving an accurate overall picture as, depending on the criteria used, they can be massively swayed by a single factor which in the grand scheme of things is pretty minor but is viewed as important in the league table.

Also not all UK Universities have slipped. LSE, Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews, Nottingham, Southampton, Leeds, York, Lancaster, Cardiff, Reading, Bath and Sussex have all been ranked higher this year than last, and most of them have gone up by a dozen or more places, which to me would indicate that while some of the top tier Universities may have dropped a few places, overall the strength of the UK Universities is increasing as across the board there are more that have had a big rise than have had a big fall.

ReputationRep:
    QS favours British unis too much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what they're looking at.

Although I think that's quite a fair top 5!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, but have UK universities slid down, or have other universities rose UP?

Questions questions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline brady)
    this is plain wrong. how can 2 singapore universities be in the top 15 universities in the world? where is LSE? Oh no. I think I'm gonna jump off a cliff.
    LSE is renowned for economics. And where is it for Economics? Top 5. (I think it's 3rd not sure) with Cambridge 10th or something

ReputationRep:
    UK overall is generally on the decline, you just need to travel a bit to acknowledge that.

ReputationRep:
    If a university if top 30, I doubt that it's going to make a difference if you go to the one classed 30th or 29th. Not the same can be said comparing a uni ranked between 1-50 with one 500-550...

I don't take the Qs rankings seriously because they add random universities in subject leagues for courses which they don't offer. LSE doesn't do Computer Science for example...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.