Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a french student applying to the Fine Art program. I have passed the french baccalaureate with an average a little below 14/20.
    Yet I don't really understand the entry requirements: you're supposed to get BBB for the typical offer (which roughly translates to a 13/20) but when you go on the french applicant page (http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/interna...qualifications) the entry requirements are at 14/20 MINIMUM for ANY subject.
    So I'm wondering what I'm supposed to have. For a fine art degree I'd expect the portfolio to have more weight in the decision?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Termiduck)
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a french student applying to the Fine Art program. I have passed the french baccalaureate with an average a little below 14/20.
    Yet I don't really understand the entry requirements: you're supposed to get BBB for the typical offer (which roughly translates to a 13/20) but when you go on the french applicant page (http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/interna...qualifications) the entry requirements are at 14/20 MINIMUM for ANY subject.
    So I'm wondering what I'm supposed to have. For a fine art degree I'd expect the portfolio to have more weight in the decision?
    Thank you
    Edinburgh is a bit confusing about its offers. It used to have a reputation for making very low offers for a university of its standing, although this has changed a bit and they tend to offer more in line with others now. To be considered for the lower offers, though, you had to be predicted quite a lot more than that.

For art, the portfolio is the crucial factor, and most UK applicants from outside Scotland will have an art foundation course as well, which will bring up their grades by quite a lot. It looks like your issue is that there is more than one interpretation of what BBB is equivalent to in the French system. Some rounding up or rounding down may account for that. To be honest, you really need to call and ask them for your chances with your grades. I wouldn't rate them very highly, if I'm honest, as if you do fall below what is already a low benchmark, your portfolio won't save you and may not even be seen. Edinburgh is highly competitive and they don't need to be kind to anyone. You need to ask them directly if it is worth your applying.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your answer!
    I'm currently doing a "foundation year" but it's in France, not UK or Scotland but am still applying as a first year, I don't know if that changes anything?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a "foundation year" but it's in France, not UK or Scotland but am still applying as a first year, I don't know if that changes anything?
    I'm not an expert in overseas foundation courses, I'm afraid, but it can only help, I'm sure. Good luck with applying. My son's an Edinburgh art graduate and he was very happy there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ! I'd really love to go there, I'm gonna call them later...
    Do you know other good schools where I could study fine art in Scotland or England?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ! I'd really love to go there, I'm gonna call them later...
    Do you know other good schools where I could study fine art in Scotland or England?
    Glasgow, UAL, Ravensbourne, Loughborough, Brighton, Kingston - there are loads. Try posting in the Creative Arts forum.

By the way, if you reply by hitting the orange reply button in the bottom right hand corner, it will alert the person you are talking to.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, is it a you doing a prépa? If it is then this will help your application. 14/20 de moyenne is the min but like with any candidate if they really like your application - especially for fine art where there is a portfolio - I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to give you a place. They're not strict strict, just strict. Bonne chance!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 13, 2016

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.