Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually have any free time at all or is it all work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    Most universities say you should treat it as a 9-5 job. It's not in your best interests to be all work because you can easily get burn out and make yourself ill. I am just starting my MA and the course is pretty clear they want you to be selective in what you read and to work as efficiently as possible so you don't waste your time. You can get specific books for subject to help you on your course as well (my course has this one for example). It might be worth emailing lecturers you may be involved with asking them about the workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georg Hegel)
    Most universities say you should treat it as a 9-5 job. It's not in your best interests to be all work because you can easily get burn out and make yourself ill. I am just starting my MA and the course is pretty clear they want you to be selective in what you read and to work as efficiently as possible so you don't waste your time. You can get specific books for subject to help you on your course as well (my course has this one for example). It might be worth emailing lecturers you may be involved with asking them about the workload.
    Thanks I haven't decided wether I'm going to do one yet I'm kind of teetering I'd be a bit older than other people at 30

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I haven't decided wether I'm going to do one yet I'm kind of teetering I'd be a bit older than other people at 30

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't worry, there are people on my MA course in their 70s and 80s! There are lots of free resources online to help you get back into studies and to help you brush up your skills too :-)

ReputationRep:
    It varies by course and uni as each one sets different amounts of work but I had a reasonable amount of free time on my masters, mostly in the middle of the semester though and hardly any during the holidays due to multiple deadlines just after.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Uh hi! I'm 26 and feeling a bit older than some of my fellow students so don't worry!

I've had a look at some of the academic courses and support available and going to try and access them all. I'm quite lucky i'm a part-time student but will be working 37.5hrs a week alongside my studies- I've worked out I will literally get one day free a week....great! I'm just hoping to prioritise and delegate out responsibilities with work, plan ahead and get an early start on assignments and keep up regular communication with my tutor.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also in response to this, its not like undergrad where the vast majority are 18/19 when they start, you get students of all ages. On my course I was the youngest at 23, with the majority being late 20's and some even older.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.