Turn on thread page Beta

PMQ's on now... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching it? Obviously we'll see how Corybne copes when it's Cameron's turn but his methodology of asking questions from the public and asking for a facts based debate seems to be doing quite well and thus far Cameron has avoided personal attacks which is refreshing.

ReputationRep:
    It was smooth sailing for Cameron. Asking on behalf of the public meant Cameron couldn't dismiss the questions but those questions were pedestrian and the lack of follow up meant Cameron had no trouble.

He could then spend the remainder of PMQs using other MPs to attack Corbyn on his defence policy and the shadow Chancellor's support for the IRA.

Corbyn will have to do better than that if he wants to provide any sort of scrutiny

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn destroyed Cameron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    He could then spend the remainder of PMQs using other MPs to attack Corbyn on his defence policy and the shadow Chancellor's support for the IRA.
    Completely agree with what you've said. It was unsatisfying to say the least.

Really not pleased with how they didn't get a chance to defend John McDonnell's comments. He never supported the IRA; he probably saved people's lives from them:

(3:52 onwards)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    It was smooth sailing for Cameron. Asking on behalf of the public meant Cameron couldn't dismiss the questions but those questions were pedestrian and the lack of follow up meant Cameron had no trouble.

Corbyn will have to do better than that if he wants to provide any sort of scrutiny
    This.

Corbyn played a good card by using the publics questions. However Cameron was not tripped up by it at all and gave reasonable answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sandy the Rhino, :lol:

ReputationRep:
    missed Cams responses due to telephone interview...better get a proper interview out of it lol.

Feminists surely must go to town on Cam's rhino-gate? He helped the zoo get it's female rhino and he's pleased to say it's doing a lot of breeding now and hopefully this Tiger will prove just as effective? IS THAT ALL FEMALES ARE CAMERON, BREEDING MACHINES MEASURED ON HOW MANY BABIES THEY POP UP?! WITH NO OTHER USE TO SOCIETY?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    This.

Corbyn played a good card by using the publics questions. However Cameron was not tripped up by it at all and gave reasonable answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It shouldn't be about tripping people up- it shouldn't be theatrical.
    It should be about asking the pm questions the public want to know and the Pm answering. Which it was.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn caught Cameron off guard with the whole approach, but Corbyn didn't really follow up on any of the answers to which Cameron gave meaning Cameron was allowed space to sell his message, his policy and his spin freely without much opposition.

Of course, Corbyn supports will be blasting "CAMERON DESTROYED BY CORBYN" all over social media because the whole Corbyn thing has become some sort of cult.

ReputationRep:
    Bar a vaguely sexist joke, that was no more challenging or different than Miliband.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    It shouldn't be about tripping people up- it shouldn't be theatrical.
    It should be about asking the pm questions the public want to know and the Pm answering. Which it was.
    Except Cameron was given the opportunity to have the last word on every issue; he did actually do a vaguely decent job of answering the questions, but crucially he was far too able to spend time on his economic security spiel. The fact Corbyn never followed up was just bad practice - PMQs is about nailing the prime minister and pointing out his mistakes and pointing out when he glosses over the questions. Though he refrained this time, he will be able to ignore the questions completely, make his general point, and then be asked a completely different question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    Except Cameron was given the opportunity to have the last word on every issue; he did actually do a vaguely decent job of answering the questions, but crucially he was far too able to spend time on his economic security spiel. The fact Corbyn never followed up was just bad practice - PMQs is about nailing the prime minister and pointing out his mistakes and pointing out when he glosses over the questions. Though he refrained this time, he will be able to ignore the questions completely, make his general point, and then be asked a completely different question.
    Fair point, although Corbyn to his credit wants to take the theatre and the petty points scoring out of it.
    If he does get Cameron on the back foot then Cameron will ignore the question and reply with a personal attack or joke like he did week in week out against ed milliband.
    Milliband pointed this out and it did him no good.
    I've no problem with Cameron giving good answers. I don't think pmqs makes even the most minimal of difference to how people vote.

ReputationRep:
    I have better things to do with my time then to listen to a London Met dropout ask the PM questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    Corbyn caught Cameron off guard with the whole approach, but Corbyn didn't really follow up on any of the answers to which Cameron gave meaning Cameron was allowed space to sell his message, his policy and his spin freely without much opposition.

Of course, Corbyn supports will be blasting "CAMERON DESTROYED BY CORBYN" all over social media because the whole Corbyn thing has become some sort of cult.
    I'm pretty sure it's wrong to say Cameron wasn't expecting it...

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, although Corbyn to his credit wants to take the theatre and the petty points scoring out of it.
    If he does get Cameron on the back foot then Cameron will ignore the question and reply with a personal attack or joke like he did week in week out against ed milliband.
    Milliband pointed this out and it did him no good.
    I've no problem with Cameron giving good answers. I don't think pmqs makes even the most minimal of difference to how people vote.
    You can nail the PM without it solely being an exercise in point scoring. If he fails to properly answer a question it is perfectly reasonable to criticise him without making it petty. This is, after all, meant to make the PM accountable to the House.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea but there needs to be some kind of follow up afterwards.

(Original post by Aj12)
    This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd agree with this. But considering how everything else has gone in that last few days it went really well :-/

ReputationRep:
    You can nail the PM without it solely being an exercise in point scoring. If he fails to properly answer a question it is perfectly reasonable to criticise him without making it petty. This is, after all, meant to make the PM accountable to the House.
    True.
    There's no point trying to get into personal attacks or points scoring or rhetoric with Cameron because Cameron is quite simply better at it. I do like how Corbyn handled it today and I'm sure he'll get better as he gets used to it.

ReputationRep:
    True.
    There's no point trying to get into personal attacks or points scoring or rhetoric with Cameron because Cameron is quite simply better at it. I do like how Corbyn handled it today and I'm sure he'll get better as he gets used to it.
    Well I think he needs a pretty fundamental rethink of his strategy. He needs to use those public questions as starting points for perhaps two really strong arguments. Six questions from Sarah, John, Brenda et al won't get the point across. The PM knows all the issues and how to respond to any one of them - where he can be truly challenged is if Corbyn makes a limited number of proper criticisms, rather than a bland list of common criticisms of the government.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think he needs a pretty fundamental rethink of his strategy. He needs to use those public questions as starting points for perhaps two really strong arguments. Six questions from Sarah, John, Brenda et al won't get the point across. The PM knows all the issues and how to respond to any one of them - where he can be truly challenged is if Corbyn makes a limited number of proper criticisms, rather than a bland list of common criticisms of the government.
    It was only his first go, he'll have five years! I'm sure he'll fine tune his strategy and I applaud him for trying something different and Cameron for answering the questions and not resorting to personal attacks.

I don't think pmqs makes a jot of difference either way though so wouldn't worry too much about it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Corbyn might as well have been an interviewer the way he asked questions, let the Cameron answer and then moved on straight away. This guy is a zeitgeist that will die down before long. Labour won't win under him.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.