Used fake name when detained for shop lifting - help Watch

woogywoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I urgently need help with the following situation.

I am a student in England and am extremely broke. Like extremely.

Last week I was caught shop lifting in Sainsburys (food so I can eat). I had had my purse stolen / lost earlier in the week so did not have my ID or bank card or anything to identify myself. I was using an old purse of my sister's which had her ID in it. So, being the disgusting human being my circumstances have made me become, was let off but my sister has now been issued a Civil Recovery letter and a fine of £150 pounds.

She didn't know about the event until she got the letter and called up the company to say it wasn't her. They advised her to rip up the letter and ignore it.

I want to call them up and say it was me, but I have been caught shoplifting before and am worried if I admit guilt they will know my name and, as a second offender, call the police.

So my questions are:
1) if i pay the fine under my sister's name, what will happen? Will she get a criminal record? (The police were not involved)
2) If i leave the letter and don't pay the fine, will they pursue identity theft allegations? How easily will they be able to track me down?
3) If i call them and say it was me and then pay the fine, what will happen?

I don't want to tarnish my sister's future in any way, but nor do I want to go to jail.

Please help me. I feel disgustingly ashamed and horrified at my behaviour.
Markg125
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by woogywoo)
Hi,

I urgently need help with the following situation.

I am a student in England and am extremely broke. Like extremely.

Last week I was caught shop lifting in Sainsburys (food so I can eat). I had had my purse stolen / lost earlier in the week so did not have my ID or bank card or anything to identify myself. I was using an old purse of my sister's which had her ID in it. So, being the disgusting human being my circumstances have made me become, was let off but my sister has now been issued a Civil Recovery letter and a fine of £150 pounds.

She didn't know about the event until she got the letter and called up the company to say it wasn't her. They advised her to rip up the letter and ignore it.

I want to call them up and say it was me, but I have been caught shoplifting before and am worried if I admit guilt they will know my name and, as a second offender, call the police.

So my questions are:
1) if i pay the fine under my sister's name, what will happen? Will she get a criminal record? (The police were not involved)
2) If i leave the letter and don't pay the fine, will they pursue identity theft allegations? How easily will they be able to track me down?
3) If i call them and say it was me and then pay the fine, what will happen?

I don't want to tarnish my sister's future in any way, but nor do I want to go to jail.

Please help me. I feel disgustingly ashamed and horrified at my behaviour.
Obviously I'm not saying you should do this, or that's it right! (disclaimer)

But the Police are under going massive budget cuts and in a lot of councils are not even turning up to burglaries. Therefore if you just do nothing, it is unlikely that they will have the time or the resources to 'track' you down (especially for a minor crime like theft), and I doubt it will even enter their head that you gave your sisters name.

Stealing is wrong though, and if you are seriously that broke their are organisations that will feed you, or perhaps you could get some help from your parents?
Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I feel like they think you stole her purse so have got no way to find you. If it was me I'd count my lucky stars, stay away from the shop and ask the university for help
I hope you are okay, I'm sorry you are in this situation
bailfire
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No one cares that you're broke. You are pathetic and shop lifting is just wrong, once okay - but you say you've done it before and now your sister has to pay for your **** up? Stop shop lifting, get a job, pay the fine for her and don't do it again. There are tramps living on the streets that don't shop lift, I doubt you have it worse than them.
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
You are better of telling everyone the truth.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hevachan)
Well I feel like they think you stole her purse so have got no way to find you. If it was me I'd count my lucky stars, stay away from the shop and ask the university for help
I hope you are okay, I'm sorry you are in this situation
This. OP, please ask for some support from the University or the closest to you.
Kholmes1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh with you like the other person said do nothing even though its not really right.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most universities have a hardship fund.
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blackstarr)
You are better of telling everyone the truth.
no she isn't, that'll make everything worse.

OP - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ecovery-Letter

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...=1#post4037780

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...=1#post4078217

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...ses-for-theft/

Read this.

Post the letter on here omitting all personal info (names, barcodes, locations, etc).
Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bailfire)
No one cares that you're broke. You are pathetic and shop lifting is just wrong, once okay - but you say you've done it before and now your sister has to pay for your **** up? Stop shop lifting, get a job, pay the fine for her and don't do it again. There are tramps living on the streets that don't shop lift, I doubt you have it worse than them.
What a cruel comment. OP stole from sainsburies, not a family business. I doubt it will impact them in any way
bailfire
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What a cruel comment. OP stole from sainsburies, not a family business. I doubt it will impact them in any way
Oh OP stole from Sainsburys? Thats okay then(!) Go do it again OP! -_-
kka25
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kholmes1)
Tbh with you like the other person said do nothing even though its not really right.
Yes, being an erudite in this situation is more important than a dauntless or candour!
Blackstarr
Report 4 years ago
Cool.
brennanlee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't tell the truth this time but DON'T do it again. Do you get benefits/student loans? Uni support?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sainsburys is a family business; the Sainsbury family.
woogywoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Markg125)
Obviously I'm not saying you should do this, or that's it right! (disclaimer)

But the Police are under going massive budget cuts and in a lot of councils are not even turning up to burglaries. Therefore if you just do nothing, it is unlikely that they will have the time or the resources to 'track' you down (especially for a minor crime like theft), and I doubt it will even enter their head that you gave your sisters name.

Stealing is wrong though, and if you are seriously that broke their are organisations that will feed you, or perhaps you could get some help from your parents?
Thank you for answering constructively. My biggest worry is that my sister called them and said it wasnt her and they told her to rip up the letters. Will they pursue trying to find me using CCTV footage and/or my real name (which I gave when I got caught taking some underwear from Primark, which is next door to sainsburys)? Will they keep sending letters to our home (where neither her nor I live anymore)? Will they take it to court? Do Sainsburys really care?

Will the letters keep coming or will they stop after a while? Is this even a big deal in the grand scheme of things?

Right now I feel like my entire world is collapsing and that there is no way to turn. If I pay in my sister's name then then issue is closed, but I risk tarnishing her name and admitting her 'guilt'. If it affects her in later life then our relationship will be ruined. Can employers even find out this information - if i pay?

If I leave it, letters will continue to go to my home; my mum will not hesitate to open them. I will live in paranoia and wont be able to sleep. What if they want to take the case to court? I am already on medication for anxiety disorder fyi!

I am so confused and have so many questions. Please, I know that I did wrong and will never do it again. All I want is to atone for my wrongdoings and move on. Thank you for all your help
woogywoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by brennanlee)
Don't tell the truth this time but DON'T do it again. Do you get benefits/student loans? Uni support?
But what will happen? Will it go away? I will never, ever do something like this again. I have never hated myself so much
shadowtear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sadly if a man did this everyone would be saying that they're the scum of the Earth.
Kholmes1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Yes, being an erudite in this situation is more important than a dauntless or candour!
Omg. 😂😂😂🔫.
GRed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Going to a food bank might be an option
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.76%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.81%
I don't think they'd understand (26)
17.57%
It might lead to more bullying (55)
37.16%
There's nothing they could do (41)
27.7%

Watched Threads

Latest