The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Need advice/Marks out of 10!

Hello:-)

I'm thinking about applying to UWE for business management and leadership in 2016 but I've never been able to visit! Could you give me some ideas as to what the university is like?

Are there many things to do (eg: gym, societies,shopping)?
What's freshers like?
Are the people nice?
What's the area like?
Is it expensive?
Is the nightlife good?
Are lecturers helpful?
Do you enjoy living there?
Are job prospects after leaving uni good?

If you could give it a mark out of 10 that would be really helpful too!
Thankssss:-)
Reply 1
Original post by clolouise16
Hello:-)

I'm thinking about applying to UWE for business management and leadership in 2016 but I've never been able to visit! Could you give me some ideas as to what the university is like?

Are there many things to do (eg: gym, societies,shopping)?
What's freshers like?
Are the people nice?
What's the area like?
Is it expensive?
Is the nightlife good?
Are lecturers helpful?
Do you enjoy living there?
Are job prospects after leaving uni good?

If you could give it a mark out of 10 that would be really helpful too!
Thankssss:-)

Hi,

I've only just started, but I hope this is useful for you! There's plenty (loads I'd say) to do on campus; there's a gym, I haven't seen it yet but it's highly spoken of. It's inexpensive too; cheaper than the one I used to go to back home. There are loads of sports to be involved with, (I'll get back to that in a minute…) and there's a shop onsite with all essentials like food/stationery, as well as both an Asda and a Sainsbury's within a 10 15 minute walk. The Students' Union bar (brand new) is good and very cheap.

The Freshers' thing really isn't for me, I'll get to know enough people through my course and societies I hope, but I know there have been a ton of events on from the Students' Union and around Bristol. I'm in a Facebook group for Freshers' 2015 and it's really active, you've got people buying tickets and arranging "pre-drinks" and sharing questions/answers about the courses and campus and so on! There's always something on during Freshers' Week if you're up for it, and it's not ALL drinking and loud music (just, that's what most people care about haha). The people are nice here, and I think it's great that it's never been silent in the accommodation so far. I can hear music and voices from just down the hall right now! It's my first time away from family but I don't feel lonely at all, even though I'm choosing to stay out of most Freshers' activities.

The area's nice, although if you're studying on the Frenchay campus then it's a few miles out of Bristol. If you prefer, and don't mind the short commute, there is city accommodation available though! Really though it isn't a problem because public transport's available 24/7 into the city centre and back, and it's reasonably-priced, but I haven't been into Bristol since starting here yet. Haven't needed to, although I will soon because Bristol's awesome. If you prefer to commute from home then it's easy to access, as long as you're not too far away, because it's basically right off the M4/M32 motorway.

The lecturers I've come across so far have been very good and enthusiastic, and easy to follow. It was a concern for me because I left school in 2009, and did a BTEC (in Art and Design!! -.-) and not A-levels unfortunately, but I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. I'm studying Marketing Communications, so I have some of the modules that you'd have as well. I've got my introductory lectures on "understanding business and financial information" and "meeting the management challenge" tomorrow.

Like most universities I suppose, there are a ton of societies, sports and networks to get involved with. Even for ME there are several that I'd like to join, or at least find out more about at the Freshers' Fair on Friday. E.g. Comic Books & Sci-Fi, ENACTUS, English, Film, Graphic Design, Marketing, Poker, Psychology, Vegetarian/Vegan, and WesternEye the student-run newspaper. Sports clubs include things like: basketball, canoeing, climbing, fencing, jiu jitsu, karting, riding, surfing… and so many more! For networks you have one for I think all major religions and nationalities at UWE, and also LGBT, Disabled Students and Students Living at Home.

Job prospects are said to be pretty good! UWE performs very well for graduate employability. I was told it did beat Oxford on that recently. If you care about the league tables (and you should, to a point!) then you'll notice it's ranked like 70 80th right now. It dropped around 30 places I believe this year, which is very unfortunate but it's being addressed and obviously UWE offer a huge number of courses, clearly not all of which students have been satisfied with. The Faculty of Business and Law is very good however, and well-regarded. Personally all in all I'm enjoying it so far, and the facilities are very good! There's some great information about these on their website.

I would say if you've got the chance to visit, then definitely do! When I applied, it was my fifth and last choice and I came close to rejecting it, without even attending the applicant day. That would have been a real shame, because I came along and was really impressed by everything the university and specifically the Faculty of Business and Law had to offer. The programme leader for my course in particular (and associate head of department) seem really great and honestly I'm looking forward to a good few years at UWE. If you do come and visit then I hope you'll like it!

Just quote me if you've got any questions!
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Skyf4ll
Hi,

I've only just started, but I hope this is useful for you! There's plenty (loads I'd say) to do on campus; there's a gym, I haven't seen it yet but it's highly spoken of. It's inexpensive too; cheaper than the one I used to go to back home. There are loads of sports to be involved with, (I'll get back to that in a minute…) and there's a shop onsite with all essentials like food/stationery, as well as both an Asda and a Sainsbury's within a 10 15 minute walk. The Students' Union bar (brand new) is good and very cheap.

The Freshers' thing really isn't for me, I'll get to know enough people through my course and societies I hope, but I know there have been a ton of events on from the Students' Union and around Bristol. I'm in a Facebook group for Freshers' 2015 and it's really active, you've got people buying tickets and arranging "pre-drinks" and sharing questions/answers about the courses and campus and so on! There's always something on during Freshers' Week if you're up for it, and it's not ALL drinking and loud music (just, that's what most people care about haha). The people are nice here, and I think it's great that it's never been silent in the accommodation so far. I can hear music and voices from just down the hall right now! It's my first time away from family but I don't feel lonely at all, even though I'm choosing to stay out of most Freshers' activities.

The area's nice, although if you're studying on the Frenchay campus then it's a few miles out of Bristol. If you prefer, and don't mind the short commute, there is city accommodation available though! Really though it isn't a problem because public transport's available 24/7 into the city centre and back, and it's reasonably-priced, but I haven't been into Bristol since starting here yet. Haven't needed to, although I will soon because Bristol's awesome. If you prefer to commute from home then it's easy to access, as long as you're not too far away, because it's basically right off the M4/M32 motorway.

The lecturers I've come across so far have been very good and enthusiastic, and easy to follow. It was a concern for me because I left school in 2009, and did a BTEC (in Art and Design!! -.-) and not A-levels unfortunately, but I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. I'm studying Marketing Communications, so I have some of the modules that you'd have as well. I've got my introductory lectures on "understanding business and financial information" and "meeting the management challenge" tomorrow.

Like most universities I suppose, there are a ton of societies, sports and networks to get involved with. Even for ME there are several that I'd like to join, or at least find out more about at the Freshers' Fair on Friday. E.g. Comic Books & Sci-Fi, ENACTUS, English, Film, Graphic Design, Marketing, Poker, Psychology, Vegetarian/Vegan, and WesternEye the student-run newspaper. Sports clubs include things like: basketball, canoeing, climbing, fencing, jiu jitsu, karting, riding, surfing… and so many more! For networks you have one for I think all major religions and nationalities at UWE, and also LGBT, Disabled Students and Students Living at Home.

Job prospects are said to be pretty good! UWE performs very well for graduate employability. I was told it did beat Oxford on that recently. If you care about the league tables (and you should, to a point!) then you'll notice it's ranked like 70 80th right now. It dropped around 30 places I believe this year, which is very unfortunate but it's being addressed and obviously UWE offer a huge number of courses, clearly not all of which students have been satisfied with. The Faculty of Business and Law is very good however, and well-regarded. Personally all in all I'm enjoying it so far, and the facilities are very good! There's some great information about these on their website.

I would say if you've got the chance to visit, then definitely do! When I applied, it was my fifth and last choice and I came close to rejecting it, without even attending the applicant day. That would have been a real shame, because I came along and was really impressed by everything the university and specifically the Faculty of Business and Law had to offer. The programme leader for my course in particular (and associate head of department) seem really great and honestly I'm looking forward to a good few years at UWE. If you do come and visit then I hope you'll like it!

Just quote me if you've got any questions!

Thank you so much that was really helpful! I'm thinking about putting UWE down as my first or second choice! I was quite shocked when I saw it had dropped down from 49 to 70, but now you've reassured me that the university is still worth it and there's lots to do! Thank you so much:-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending