Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I live in a shared student house in the north of Scotland and my bedroom is very cold due to the layout of the house means I have the coldest room. My clothes are that cold they feel damp. I'm waking up in the night feeling cold. I have a hot water bottle and I sleep fully clothed.
    I put on the heating and my flat mates got really annoyed and said there was no need to have it on. I'm the one in charge on the utility bills and we pay £140 a month for gas and electric by direct debit - I don't see why it shouldn't go on.
    Help please - I'm freezing
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Moved to Student Accommodation.

Have they actually been in your room to know how cold it really is? And your definition of cold isn't the same as theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Talk with them, suggest that if they don't like the heating because it's too hot for them they can always turn off the valves on the radiators in their rooms. If it's a financial issue, offer to cover the difference in gas bills for having the heating on when you want it?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Are they not able to afford the bills if you put the heating on? If it's based off usage then it can get very expensive putting the heating on even just for a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    Buy yourself a halogen heater.

ReputationRep:
    it's actually cheaper to heat the house for an hour than it would be to use an electric heater for the same time. they can always turn the temperature of their own radiotors down if they get too hot. i recommend only doing it for an hour or two in the morning and evening, not on all day though

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.