The Student Room Group

Denied test for BRCA gene

I went to my university last year expressing concerns about my family history of breast cancer.

Currently, on my mothers side of the family, 2 aunties (her sisters) and her mother has had breast cancer, one sister died. This makes me almost certain its a genetic defect. The other aunts cancer has since returned.
I have no way of knowing if my own mother would have had BC in her life because she died of lung cancer when I was 8 months old.
My cousin had a gene test and it determined she did not carry one of two BC genes, but the hospital informed her there may be another gene that they don't know much about yet.

Fast forward to university, I take the combined pill so I went in for my prescription. After my aunt died, I became worried about being on the pill with a possible BC gene in my body and expressed my concerns to the nurse. I explained my aunties first and before I could remember to tell her my mother was dead, she said "No, we don't offer a test unless a parent has had it." very abruptly and rather rudely.
I was having a particularly bad mental health day so I just stood up and left, feeling anxious and tearful.

I can't afford to pay £2k+ to have the genetic test done, the anxiety is eating me alive. I check myself almost every day. Is it worth trying to get the test again?
Reply 1
The nurse you saw was incredibly unhelpful and you've come away after a bad experience feeling anxious - I'm not surprised! Is there another nurse/doctor you can see? It'll be worth booking an appointment to talk to someone about it and definitely, definitely try again.

She's wrong, by the way. According to the NHS website about genetic tests for cancer:

"You may be eligible for this NHS test if the faulty gene has already been identified in one of your relatives, or if there is a strong family history of cancer in your family."

Link: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/predictive-genetic-tests-cancer/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Book a dedicated appointment and speak to someone who is willing to listen. Explain about your mum and they'll be able to advise you from there. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Andaxay
The nurse you saw was incredibly unhelpful and you've come away after a bad experience feeling anxious - I'm not surprised! Is there another nurse/doctor you can see? It'll be worth booking an appointment to talk to someone about it and definitely, definitely try again.

She's wrong, by the way. According to the NHS website about genetic tests for cancer:

"You may be eligible for this NHS test if the faulty gene has already been identified in one of your relatives, or if there is a strong family history of cancer in your family."

Link: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/predictive-genetic-tests-cancer/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Book a dedicated appointment and speak to someone who is willing to listen. Explain about your mum and they'll be able to advise you from there. Good luck :smile:

Thank you for your help and the links, I'll go back soon and ask again! I just want to put my mind at rest, instead of thinking what if. If I have the gene I can be proactive about it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest