Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been in college 2 weeks and I hate it. Its a huge college and there are so many people. Everyone had made friends except me, no one is interested whatsoever in me. I have no confidence and I'm shy, quiet and boring. I try talk to people but I don't know what to say and I feel so bad about myself I'm sure people can see and get put off.

I have so many free periods with nothing to do, no one to sit with at lunch and no friends. I am so lonely and unhappy and I'm terrified to go in every single day.

What do I do? How do I make friends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brennanlee)
    Been in college 2 weeks and I hate it. Its a huge college and there are so many people. Everyone had made friends except me, no one is interested whatsoever in me. I have no confidence and I'm shy, quiet and boring. I try talk to people but I don't know what to say and I feel so bad about myself I'm sure people can see and get put off.

I have so many free periods with nothing to do, no one to sit with at lunch and no friends. I am so lonely and unhappy and I'm terrified to go in every single day.

it's only been two weeks it's will get better as time goes on and more people will warm to you! Try to be as out going as possible and I suggest you join a club if there are any available! It's a great way to meet people who have similar interests!

Try to just chat to the person next to you in a lesson and then say do you want to go to lunch after your lesson ends!

It will get better and talk about it with family

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be your friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brennanlee)

Btec hair and beauty for you..

ReputationRep:
    Which college do you go

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have no friends and haven't had any for 5 years. In the end you have to accept things as they are. It isn't that you don't have any friends, it is that you are forced to be in a place where you need to spend time with other people. You have to give them a reason to interact with you. Like you are the best in your course or you are the funny one. If not you won't attract anyone. You have to understand they everybody else feels the same way as you and wants to make friends to feel more comfortable when they are with a large number of other people. I went to college for a year, but I was never bothered about making friends with anyone. I don't really like people. I have to see something special or exceptional in someone for me to try and befriend them. So far in 5 years I have only found one person up to my standards.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me it will get better

It's almost impossible, unless you physically avoid all interaction, not to form some sort of relationship with others

I was in the same position, however when it came to group work, I started to come out of my shell since almost everyone in my class was new and in the same position.

Be friendly and approachable.

Sometimes, you have to reach out to people if they don't do that for you.

:console:
    There is always that super nice, super friendly person at a college. Why don't you try talking to him/her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    :console:
    There is always that super nice, super friendly person at a college. Why don't you try talking to him/her?
    This.

Plus just putting yourself out there more will help speed up the process

ReputationRep:
    [deleted]

ReputationRep:
    Take a nice book to read and go to some societies to meet people. After 2 weeks, no one's made proper friends. Talk to the people you're sat next to in classes and maybe volunteer at open evenings or something to get to know different people and gain some confidence. Maybe join a club like a DofE group because then you'll spend a lot of time and really get to know people. It gets better- I was really shy myself when I started college but everyone's scared underneath their cool exteriors, and everyone's looking for friends. :console:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.