Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    always on the backfoot, had to actually answer questions

tory policies exposed for hurting the most vulnerable in society too
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Can't say I agree with that at all. He asked questions and Cameron answered them. My only feeling was that it was a pretty standard pmqs in many ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)

He wasn't on the backfoot at all. Corbyn made the mistake of asking one question per topic without any comebacks. As a result, Corbyn would ask a question and Cameron would give his spiel about that particular topic. The point of PMQs is to pick a couple of issues and nail the PM. By asking one question and then moving on, Corbyn let the PM set out his stool far too strongly. If he wants to perform better, he needs to make sure the PM is held properly to account rather than jumping from one question to the next. I have to say though, Cameron actually did do a decent-ish job of answering the questions and I was almost reminded of his last exchange with Harman; however, if he'd actually faced some proper opposition, he would have been given the opportunity to make the odd remark about security, taxes etc.

ReputationRep:
    What about Corbyn pathetically responding to questions regarding his conduct and the Battle of Britain remembrance?

Cameron answered the questions. Like others have said. Standard PMQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    What about Corbyn pathetically responding to questions regarding his conduct and the Battle of Britain remembrance?
    What was more pathetic, was the fact that there was a Battle of Britain remembrance, a chance to reflect on history, focus on the fantastic aircraft and the people that flew them, the people that designed them and how that was decisive in keeping Britain free. That's what should have been the story of today - but the right-wing media just wanted to turn it in to a political thing about Jeremy Corbyn.

Sure if he had acted disrespectfully at the service that would be one thing, but the sum of their criticism seems to have been "he didn't sing the national anthem, he just stood there quietly".

Loads of people do that at services. There's nothing disrespectful about it.

We didn't fight a war so that we could install a state where you had to sing the national anthem or else it's a crime against the State, thats what the Soviet Union was, thats what North Korea is.

Britain is a country where you have freedoms and there isn't an almighty State that you have to worship.

Go out and ask people what they really think about Corbyn not singing the anthem. The only people who make a big deal about it are people that hate Corbyn anyway and want to look for any reason to create a way to attack him. The vast majority of the public will have the view "who cares, he was at the service and stood respectfully and quietly".

What is really disrespectful is that people have created this story about Corbyn and spoiled the atmosphere of the Battle of Britain commemorations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    What was more pathetic, was the fact that there was a Battle of Britain remembrance, a chance to reflect on history, focus on the fantastic aircraft and the people that flew them, the people that designed them and how that was decisive in keeping Britain free. That's what should have been the story of today - but the right-wing media just wanted to turn it in to a political thing about Jeremy Corbyn.

Sure if he had acted disrespectfully at the service that would be one thing, but the sum of their criticism seems to have been "he didn't sing the national anthem, he just stood there quietly".

Loads of people do that at services. There's nothing disrespectful about it.

We didn't fight a war so that we could install a state where you had to sing the national anthem or else it's a crime against the State, thats what the Soviet Union was, thats what North Korea is.

Britain is a country where you have freedoms and there isn't an almighty State that you have to worship.

Go out and ask people what they really think about Corbyn not singing the anthem. The only people who make a big deal about it are people that hate Corbyn anyway and want to look for any reason to create a way to attack him. The vast majority of the public will have the view "who cares, he was at the service and stood respectfully and quietly".

What is really disrespectful is that people have created this story about Corbyn and spoiled the atmosphere of the Battle of Britain commemorations.
    Not true.

ReputationRep:

We're we watching the same thing?

Cameron answered the questions (truthfully might I add) well against both Corbyn and that **** Angus Robertson
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Much like those above, he did not in any way get "annihilated", he was given a walk in the park because Corbyn implemented his plan in such a spectacularly bad fashion. Fair enough take questions from the public, but then again that's a load of the nine questions that don't go to him, excluding Angus' weekly asking when devomax is happening, but only two or three and then actually have a proper follow up question.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody was 'annihilated' in the slightest, Corbyn asked questions and Cameron answered them. I don't think there was anything remarkable about that session at all.

Personally I think it was a good idea for Corbyn to keep himself reigned in because the last thing he needs is for the media to continue portraying him as some kind of extremist. But it left him open to attacks from the Tory side regarding his defence policies.

He certainly has a lot to learn as far as PMQs go, I think. But this is his first session, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    Nobody was 'annihilated' in the slightest,
    Both Cameron and Corbyn had all to lose and nothing to win.

Corbyn could have looked a complete no-hoper against someone who has been asking and answering these questions for the last 10 years.

There is the air of the 5th form bully about Cameron on occasion which could have come out but, except against the SNP chap, didn't.

Neither lost in a PMQ that was pretty low key.

Next time Cameron will have better answers to these questions so Corbyn will need to modify his tactics.

ReputationRep:
    PMQs was wholly unremarkable. Corbyn asked questions, Cameron answered them.

Corbyn failed to ask follow-up questions that would have pinned Cameron on a particular issue. As a result Cameron probably felt about as "annihilated" as he would if someone flogged him with a warm lettuce.

Corbyn has confirmed that he really is no threat to the government

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it was a standard PMQ as others have suggested - Corbyn's decision to criticise the way PMQs takes place and then to take questions asked by the public was brilliant, I thought.

I do agree that he didn't exactly probe though. He just moved on from one question to the next. Perhaps and hopefully in future PMQs this won't be the case.

So no, I wouldn't say that Cameron was annihilated by any stretch of the imagination. He defended himself well which wasn't exactly difficult. But I wouldn't go to the other extreme and completely write Corbyn off after this either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    Corbyn has confirmed that he really is no threat to the government
    Yet the Government saw fit to character assassinate the guy, not 24 hours earlier.

Doesn't sound like the actions of a party that is not running scared of Corbyn.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Errm38)
    Yet the Government saw fit to character assassinate the guy, not 24 hours earlier.

Doesn't sound like the actions of a party that is not running scared of Corbyn.
    Wait? So they only character assassinate people who are a real threat? I would have thought the sensible thing would be to do it to anybody, after all, which would you prefer, a 100 seat majority or a 150 seat majority?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Wait? So they only character assassinate people who are a real threat? I would have thought the sensible thing would be to do it to anybody, after all, which would you prefer, a 100 seat majority or a 150 seat majority?
    So let's work through this. Tories go on the offensive, Corbyn can't take the pressures. Resigns Christmas 2015. Labout elect centre ground leader.

2020 GE comes. Did the Tories lose 100 seats, or 150 seats?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Errm38)
    So let's work through this. Tories go on the offensive, Corbyn can't take the pressures. Resigns Christmas 2015. Labout elect centre ground leader.

2020 GE comes. Did the Tories lose 100 seats, or 150 seats?
    If that happens then it was done very badly, we are talking about "professionals" here, not some school elections. You don't apply pressure on the individual, you make the people not want to vote for them. The PLP may want rid of him, but they will have to wait a certain amount of time and that will not stop the pressure from the left given the "mandate" from his election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If that happens then it was done very badly, we are talking about "professionals" here, not some school elections. You don't apply pressure on the individual, you make the people not want to vote for them. The PLP may want rid of him, but they will have to wait a certain amount of time and that will not stop the pressure from the left given the "mandate" from his election.
    In politics, the only sure way you'd win is by destroying the credibility of a person.

If Corbyn is already doing that by himself, through his policies, then let him carry on doing it.

It doesn't need the Tories to give him a starting push.

ReputationRep:

You must not have watched the same PMQ's that I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought they both did well but Cameron had the edge. Not being partisan here- Cameron has a lot more experience in this. Cameron was also impressed by how undaunted Corbyn was. I'm not a fan of the guy but I warmed to him tbh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.