Turn on thread page Beta

Started a course and now i just recieved a letter saying they made a mistake! watch

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone help me?
    I just started a course that im so happy to be on, but i just recieved a letter saying they made a mistake with funding and the government no longer fund for over 24's.
    When signing up to the course, i was told to bring my ESA benefit letters as i can get funding if im on ESA. They told me everything was fine, and welcome to the course. 2 weeks in i recieve this letter saying they made a mistake, and i have three options.
    1: pay the full £3500
    2: See if i can get one of the colleges LOANS
    3: leave the course

I'm so shocked and upset at this letter. Even if i was to apply for one of their loans, whos to say i would get it? Also im going to be in a lot of debt when i also have to get a loan out for uni next year. I'm really in a panic and feel this is unfair, i should not of been misled in this way. Furthermore, i only received the letter today, 5 days after it was written, and i only have 7 days from the date on the letter (day it was written) to sort it out!!
    Also they said they are going to take attendance into account when giving out any loans, and i already have had a day off due to being extremely ill!
    Any advice please student room? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Go and see someone at the Student Union and talk it through with them. Today. Good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    Student union? Is there one in every college? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    There's one in every uni at least. There will definitely be someone at your college who you can approach about this, probably with a title like 'student support advisor' or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you take out the 24+ loan and then end up going to university afterwards you don't have to pay it back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forest_Lioness)
    Please could someone help me?
    I just started a course that im so happy to be on, but i just recieved a letter saying they made a mistake with funding and the government no longer fund for over 24's.
    When signing up to the course, i was told to bring my ESA benefit letters as i can get funding if im on ESA. They told me everything was fine, and welcome to the course. 2 weeks in i recieve this letter saying they made a mistake, and i have three options.
    1: pay the full £3500
    2: See if i can get one of the colleges LOANS
    3: leave the course

I'm so shocked and upset at this letter. Even if i was to apply for one of their loans, whos to say i would get it? Also im going to be in a lot of debt when i also have to get a loan out for uni next year. I'm really in a panic and feel this is unfair, i should not of been misled in this way. Furthermore, i only received the letter today, 5 days after it was written, and i only have 7 days from the date on the letter (day it was written) to sort it out!!
    Also they said they are going to take attendance into account when giving out any loans, and i already have had a day off due to being extremely ill!
    Any advice please student room? Thank you
    How awful for you.

As above, you can get a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan, which will cover all of your tuition fees:
    https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/eligibility

The debt is wiped out if you go on to uni and graduate. Otherwise, the repayment terms are much more favourable than an ordinary bank loan.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.