Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I'm pretty new to this site and thought it would be a good place to ask for some advice with a homework/small essay I have to do for my AS Media class.
    Basically I have to focus on gender representation in the opening sequence of the James Bond film Skyfall and was wondering if anyone could help me with male representation - have to write 800 words as a whole and its proving a bit difficult.
    Give me a shout if anyone fancies helping me or giving me advice, thank you!
    Eden

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've just started A2 media and I really enjoyed media at AS. One of the easiest ways you can talk about gender representation is to start off by talking about stereotypes. So, if you're focusing on male representation, you could start off by discussing how society views males and how they are expected to act and their roles in society. For example, you could talk about masculinity and how males are conventionally seen as assertive, physically stronger, independent lone heroes etc.

You can then develop this by looking at whether Skyfall reinforces or challenges these stereotypes. This can done by looking at micro-elements, e.g.:

Mise-en-scene: lighting, costume, makeup, props
    -Bond usually wears a sharp suit, his gun could symbolise his masculinity

Editing:
    -more screentime could imply some characters are more important than others
    -fast paced editing for action scenes highlight Bond's physical strength

Camera angle, movement, framing, composition of scenes
    -High and low angles to show characters in positions of power or weakness

Sound: dialogue, diegetic, non-diegetic

I can't remember the scene exactly, but maybe you could compare Bond's actions to Moneypenny's. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you, proper appreciate that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edenolivia)
    Ah thank you, proper appreciate that!
    no worries happy to help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.