The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by napkinsquirrel
But the point is, who cares? It's a non-issue and the fact that you put a narrative of perceived prejudice before the fact that there could have been a credible bomb threat shows that you're unwilling to see this situation for what it is; a run of the mill false alarm. Nobody was harmed and nobody's any the worse for it. The state will never be able to press charges for a bomb hoax and afterwards everyone will just go about their business. So what is your problem?

Islamophobia + racial profiling
Original post by High Stakes
I'm growing tired of this discussion now. It's clear that people will hold two views - either it was justified or it wasn't. It is unlikely that we'll progress to one answer as neither parties are going to challenge their own preconceptions. There are a few reasonable people here who argued it was justified to an extent - Although I still maintain that the situation should have never escalated to such a height and that this situation was a result of the child's background, I'll admit that this is a very grey area.

I guess it's just a sobering reminder of the world we live in. Terrorism exists and it's going to indirectly affect the innocent.

So true
How ridiculous, poor kid. Majority of school shooters are white, but do you see teachers examining every white kid's bag and locker at school? Nope.
Original post by drowzee
How ridiculous, poor kid. Majority of school shooters are white, but do you see teachers examining every white kid's bag and locker at school? Nope.

Are they searching every Muslim child or just one who brought in something that looked suspicious?
Original post by queen-bee
Islamophobia + racial profiling

Quote me any actual evidence suggesting that this was a product of racial profiling. As far as "Islamaphobia" goes, 1 person out of an entire spectrum of minorities who has had to deal with 1 issue that can only be loosely attributed to "Islamaphobia" is hardly what I'd call a problem.
Original post by drowzee

I take it from this reply you haven't read anything about this case?

But FYI all most children's bags in a America are checked as most schools have metal detectors (odd isn't it the actions of a few impact on all but you know we don't complain because it's just about keeping people safe which most of us think is a good thing)

But I suppose white kids being checked daily must be OK because I see no one complaining about it
Original post by drowzee

Truth spoken. Nothing gets done about it.
Original post by BaconandSauce
I take it from this reply you haven't read anything about this case?

But FYI all most children's bags in a America are checked as most schools have metal detectors (odd isn't it the actions of a few impact on all but you know we don't complain because it's just about keeping people safe which most of us think is a good thing)

But I suppose white kids being checked daily must be OK because I see no one complaining about it

Daily check would be for our own safety. I certainly don't want to die being shot at in a school
But what made them think hey, this clock is a bomb? What brought a bomb into this? Why was it this particular student? His religion or the fact he shared the same name as a person who was a member of Al-Qaeda? If a student built a clock at my school they'd be praised, not accused for making a bomb! What makes this even more ridiculous is now they are considering charging him for making a 'hoax bomb'.
Original post by DiddyDec
Are they searching every Muslim child or just one who brought in something that looked suspicious?

It's probably going to be a new thing now
Quote me any actual evidence suggesting that this was a product of racial profiling. As far as "Islamaphobia" goes, 1 person out of an entire spectrum of minorities who has had to deal with 1 issue that can only be loosely attributed to "Islamaphobia" is hardly what I'd call a problem.

If it was a white kid,he'd be praised. But nah,it had to be a black kid who was a Muslims too.
It's probably going to be a new thing now

Mere speculation without any basis of evidence.
Original post by High Stakes
I'm growing tired of this discussion now. It's clear that people will hold two views - either it was justified or it wasn't. It is unlikely that we'll progress to one answer as neither parties are going to challenge their own preconceptions. There are a few reasonable people here who argued it was justified to an extent - Although I still maintain that the situation should have never escalated to such a height and that this situation was a result of the child's background, I'll admit that this is a very grey area.

I guess it's just a sobering reminder of the world we live in. Terrorism exists and it's going to indirectly affect the innocent.

You're right, but this is nothing new.

Topics like this never have a clear cut answer and arguing within them serves no purpose because more often than not, an argument ends with each of the contestants more firmly convinced than ever that they are absolutely right. You can't win an argument because if you lose, you lose and if you win you still lose. Shooting someone down and leaving their argument full of holes serves only to do the opposite of what you want, they leave with a hurt pride, feeling inferior and resenting your 'victory' and someone convinced against his will is someone of the same opinion still.

I usually avoid these topics like the plague, but curiosity caught me slippin' today.
(edited 8 years ago)
If it was a white kid,he'd be praised. But nah,it had to be a black kid who was a Muslims too.

That's not evidence you spaz.

The best is he wasn't searched it was only when it started beeping in his backpack during lessons things went pear shaped for him
Mere speculation without any basis of evidence.

Isn't that how the Iraq war started
Daily check would be for our own safety. I certainly don't want to die being shot at in a school

I know right

given this I can't see your issue here
Isn't that how the Iraq war started

You really need to do your research on the many reasons that justified the invasion of Iraq.
Reply 198
Original post by gijops
Sigh is right, now show me a list like that of events that happened over only TEN YEARS that were done by non-muslims...

Oh wait you can't because like I said all terrorists are Muslim, because the koran says its cool to blow up a skyscraper and kill 3000 people, not only is it allowed but you get rewarded with a VIP area in heaven for it.

You seem to be ill informed, i'll let you pass.
You really need to do your research on the many reasons that justified the invasion of Iraq.

Oil *cough,cough*