Turn on thread page Beta

Is it risky/pointless to put your political views in your personal statement? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've written about my involvement in Young Green talks and feminist groups, however I'm not actually looking to study Politics or anything like that, I'm applying for Languages.
    The universities I'm applying to seem to be very left wing (Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester) so I thought that including these things might show me to be a good prospective student who will get involved with the SU etc.

Or is it pointless to include?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Your PS should be about your academic interest in the subject and why you want to study it at uni. Please do not put political views in. Your extra curriculars should only be a short para with a focus on relevant transferable skills gained.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't necessarily leave them out if they have been an important part of your extracurricular activities at school. I certainly wouldn't assume that the admissions person will sympathise with your politics just because the university is perceived as "left wing". If you mention them, perhaps focus on what you did rather than the exactly group you did it for, e.g. environmental campaigning, etc. As long as you don't sound as if you're going to organise student sit-ins within the department every five minutes then it's hard to imagine that this will affect your application one way or the other.

Consider getting someone else (teachers etc) to read your PS before submitting so they can offer an opinion about whether you struck a good balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barleywater)
    I've written about my involvement in Young Green talks and feminist groups, however I'm not actually looking to study Politics or anything like that, I'm applying for Languages.
    The universities I'm applying to seem to be very left wing (Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester) so I thought that including these things might show me to be a good prospective student who will get involved with the SU etc.

Or is it pointless to include?
    Tbh the majority of students are lefties so it would hardly seem out of the ordinary. I'm right wing and included the fact I'd debated that the UK should leave the EU at school and that I was involved with Tories/UKIP ( now that WAS risky!) but I still got offers from lefty institutions like the ones you mentioned which would suggest that as long as you don't put anything TOO controversial ( ie you're a white supremes etc) they seriously do not give a damn about your views.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 17, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.