Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just wondering if there's any other people like myself out here. Apologies for the long read by the way.

So I've got into Uni, moved in for about a week now, and I'm starting to get settled in. although I'm having a few issues at the minute, was wondering if anyone could offer any advice?

1.) I'm in a flat with 2 other people, who like to party every night. I don't mind this, as I can have a good drink myself, its just clubbing I hate and they always want to drag me out to clubs. I'd much rather sit and have a pint at a bar, shoot a bit of pool etc, you know? where you can actually talk as opposed to jumping on the spot all night? so I'm just wondering, will me not liking clubs Hold me back from making good proper friends?

2.) I'm missing home. although I'm really close to home (40 minute flight), I can't help but think I'd be able to get the same degree back home, for an insanely lower price, all while I still get to see my best friends back home? people I've met in Uni are very nice, just they don't have anything to them that would allow me to call them 'best friends' at all whereas the people back home actually mean something to me.

I know its early days yet, as my course starts this Monday so I can't really judge it yet, I just don't know if I'm better going home or not. Either way, I'll be giving myself time to see if it gets any better or not, until like Halloween or Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Huddleston)
    Hey guys, just wondering if there's any other people like myself out here. Apologies for the long read by the way.

So I've got into Uni, moved in for about a week now, and I'm starting to get settled in. although I'm having a few issues at the minute, was wondering if anyone could offer any advice?

1.) I'm in a flat with 2 other people, who like to party every night. I don't mind this, as I can have a good drink myself, its just clubbing I hate and they always want to drag me out to clubs. I'd much rather sit and have a pint at a bar, shoot a bit of pool etc, you know? where you can actually talk as opposed to jumping on the spot all night? so I'm just wondering, will me not liking clubs Hold me back from making good proper friends?

2.) I'm missing home. although I'm really close to home (40 minute flight), I can't help but think I'd be able to get the same degree back home, for an insanely lower price, all while I still get to see my best friends back home? people I've met in Uni are very nice, just they don't have anything to them that would allow me to call them 'best friends' at all whereas the people back home actually mean something to me.

I know its early days yet, as my course starts this Monday so I can't really judge it yet, I just don't know if I'm better going home or not. Either way, I'll be giving myself time to see if it gets any better or not, until like Halloween or Christmas.
    Hi!

I was in the same position as you when I started last year. Five of my seven house mates enjoyed clubbing where id rather sit and chill at the pub. I think you just need to wait a little bit to see if there are people at your uni who are the same as you! I went to a freshers quiz on the first night at uni and they were all similar and a year later I'm living with them. Just remember that you haven't started classes yet so that's a couple hundred people you could meet!

You must have also know that moving away from home was going to be hard but there is a reason you decided to do it. I think staying is a good idea because when your doing classes and meeting people, maybe work, your mind gets taken off it (I was a two hour drive and I missed home).

ReputationRep:
    Suppose that's true, but even then I'd still meet people back home in my course too. Like, my flatmates don't seem to really mind at all if I say I don't want to go out, and I understand that when fresher's week ends they will not be able to do this every week, but yeah- I'm just not sure cause I feel like I don't really fit in much here. I just hope I enjoy my course because it's the last aspect in my head that's preventing me from leaving.

Like I went to see the societies today, and legit 99% of them didn't even take my fancy at all, they were stuff I had zero interest in, and I was relying on them to kinda help me out in making new friends :/
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers

I dont enjoy partying myself either and am much more a pub person, i ve still made good friends at university as you can meet other people who aren't flatmates such as the people on your course and if you can find

Give it more time, its only been a week and you ve yet to meet your coursemates so plenty of chances to find potential best friends Although living on a campus/not at home costs more money its not just friends you get its the independent living bit which although takes getting used to some people really enjoy. Feeling like this is completely normal university is a massive change for people to adapt to so after some time hopefully you'll get there

see bold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    see bold
    Yeah thanks, I just have a ****storm of emotions going on at the minute lol. What's worse is the fact that I went to societies today, and there wasn't really one that I liked, 99% of them were stuff I had zero interest in. Honestly, my course being 'OK' is the only thing that's allowing me to hold out. I know i'll make friends, like proper ones soon, but I just can't help but feel I would be more successful at home, wherein I'd have my friends that i'd generally care about. I'm just thinking in the long run, cause if I don't like Uni life in 2 months, I probably won't like it in 4 years either
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Hello,

The way you are feeling is completely normal and I'd say the majority feel this way. As of recent on TSR I've seen a lot of people saying that they don't like going out drinking and such - this is a massive misconception at freshers and university - that you have to go out drinking. Honestly, be honest with your flatmates and they'll understand. You don't have to go out at all and it won't affect the friendships that could be made. There are plenty of other opportunities to make friends through various different ways.

As for missing home, it's common too and is always there in the back of peoples minds. Don't feel like you can't ring home. Always make sure you are ringing home and keeping up to date with whats going on and what not. You just need a little more time to settle in to see how you feel. In the first couple of weeks you always question the decisions you have made, like you said, you've got your course to start yet. Once you get stuck in, you can see how you feel.

Best of luck!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yeah thanks, I just have a ****storm of emotions going on at the minute lol. What's worse is the fact that I went to societies today, and there wasn't really one that I liked, 99% of them were stuff I had zero interest in. Honestly, my course being 'OK' is the only thing that's allowing me to hold out. I know i'll make friends, like proper ones soon, but I just can't help but feel I would be more successful at home, wherein I'd have my friends that i'd generally care about. I'm just thinking in the long run, cause if I don't like Uni life in 2 months, I probably won't like it in 4 years either
    Completely normal to get emotional starting uni, I got very home sick in my first few weeks but it got better after that. If no society interests you, how would you feel about starting your own?
    I think the best thing to do is give it a few more weeks and then just see how you feel at the end of that.

ReputationRep:

Your point about clubs is pretty common once you get more in to the term meet people on your course join societies you'll probably find people you get on with who actually share your interests. You may still need to put in a showing at a club or two for things like birthdays or sports awards but you don't need to go every time you've done the right thing by going with your hall mates so they know your not a kill joy do go occasionally like once a month because you don't want them to think your odd maybe invite them to the pub for the kind of night you want (be prepared for them to go to a club afterwards you don't have to go if you don't want to).

you sound a little home sick give it until Christmas and then if your still finding it hard chat to your tutor give it some thought over the break come up wit plan and leave go to wherever home is (you don't actually have to live at home) and apply there.

You said it's a flight so I'm guessing your an international student where abouts is home.

ReputationRep:
    maybe suggest going to the pub one night instead of clubbing? this way they might find they enjoy that too and in future you ca do a bit of both?
    youve only been there a week so dony worry - you will make friends, especially once teaching has started and you meet more people off your course

ReputationRep:
    1) No that shouldn't stop you making friends. Plenty of people prefer bars and restaurants to clubs and parties etc Join a couple societies and you'll meet them.
    2) I felt the same at undergrad. It is worth studying away from home to experience a new city and make new friends. It's early days, you will make friends that you get on really well with.

ReputationRep:
    Suppose that's true, but even then I'd still meet people back home in my course too. Like, my flatmates don't seem to really mind at all if I say I don't want to go out, and I understand that when fresher's week ends they will not be able to do this every week, but yeah- I'm just not sure cause I feel like I don't really fit in much here. I just hope I enjoy my course because it's the last aspect in my head that's preventing me from leaving.

Like I went to see the societies today, and legit 99% of them didn't even take my fancy at all, they were stuff I had zero interest in, and I was relying on them to kinda help me out in making new friends :/
    You can start your own easily just ask the SU how to do it put up some posters get 20 people and there you are you'll need something you do like like trips to London or beer appreciation etc and then your done.

ReputationRep:

1) Nope, not necessarily. I would recommend going out with them occasionally if you're living with them. I hated clubbing when I started, but I went along anyway as it meant hanging out with the people I lived with.
    You will also speak to people on your course which is an opportunity to make friends and I strongly recommend joining clubs or societies because I met so many people (with similar interests) by doing this!

2) I moved 5 hours away, so didn't even have the option of popping back home - I know how you feel. It is really difficult, but you have to give it time to settle in and get used to it. I made good friends that made it easy to be away and I got to know and love my uni town which helped. Try and keep yourself busy and give yourself some time on the homesickness front.

Uni is an amazing opportunity to meet people, and whilst you have your best friends back home, you'll also make friends where you are now, even if it's not the people you're living with. I have a group of friends that I met when I moved in who I now consider family! Don't forget that it's still really early days

ReputationRep:
    Update Folks.

I'm from Northern Ireland, by the way, in Newcastle atm. So anyway, rang up mum for a call, and told her how I'm feeling. She told me that it might be possible for me to go to my second choice Uni back home, if I act upon it right now. Its something to consider at least, but that would mean that I didn't give myself a proper good shot at Uni life before I left, because if they actually did let me do that, I would obviously have to leave ASAP. but if I don't do it, I may end up regretting it, then having to take a year out at Christmas or Halloween. Just cause in comparison to my flat mates and even my neighbours in halls, I feel left out cause they love partying/clubbing so much whereas I still prefer stuff like comedy nights, bars/pubs and OCCASIONALLY clubbing. ughhh, it's never easy for students lmao.

oh, and I'm not really the kind of guy to start societies. Just generally wouldn't be interested, I'm afraid. joined a gaming one so that's cool, might get a few names of people from that.

and I've suggested going to the pub, but they aren't for having it, they just like clubbing. They went one time to watch football and that was really it.

since I've started at Newcastle, I've yet to feel a proper sense of 'happiness'. I'm not sad or upset, I just find myself getting more 'content' as the days go by. It's a shame, because either way, I feel like i'm letting people down in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Further Update: Rang my second choice, they told me no, there's no room left on the equivalent course back home meaning I'd have to take a year out if I wanted to go home and study. Oh well, at least that clears up my options some more, I have a better idea where to stand...

ReputationRep:
    Further Update: Rang my second choice, they told me no, there's no room left on the equivalent course back home meaning I'd have to take a year out if I wanted to go home and study. Oh well, at least that clears up my options some more, I have a better idea where to stand...
    It can be a lot easier staying at home and studying. Studying away from home is good character building. In your position, considering you would have to take a year out, I would study at Newcastle and worst case scenario you can transfer to a uni in N.Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i rang up my Uni back home, turns out they can't lemme do that so yeah that really sucks. Now my options are easier tho, gonna ride it out til halloween at least to see if it gets any better than feeling 'content'.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the north of Ireland too
    The way student finance works out, if you drop out of your course after enrolling you are liable to pay part of your course fees back basically straight after.
    You could try sticking out the year then seeing if you can transfer to the second year of the equivalent course back here? or if you do need to repeat the first year student finance will still finance you for the second course
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah i rang up my Uni back home, turns out they can't lemme do that so yeah that really sucks. Now my options are easier tho, gonna ride it out til halloween at least to see if it gets any better than feeling 'content'.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
    Trust me - it gets better!

Hang in there and plow on with work. Take your halls mates to the pub after lectures? You sound like you're getting on with them apart from the club thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Trust me - it gets better!

Hang in there and plow on with work. Take your halls mates to the pub after lectures? You sound like you're getting on with them apart from the club thing.
    Yeah it's getting better now. since freshers week is over, everyone has calmed down a good bit- to a level i'm much more suited for! we're even doing stuff that I like more now, like chilling out and having pizza some nights, going to pubs and smoking weed lmao. So yeah, it is looking slightly better!

only thing is my course itself kind of sucks. Some modules are boring AF, and others seem pretty interesting- again, i'll need to give ,yself time to see how I enjoy it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah it's getting better now. since freshers week is over, everyone has calmed down a good bit- to a level i'm much more suited for! we're even doing stuff that I like more now, like chilling out and having pizza some nights, going to pubs and smoking weed lmao. So yeah, it is looking slightly better!

only thing is my course itself kind of sucks. Some modules are boring AF, and others seem pretty interesting- again, i'll need to give myself time to see how I enjoy it!
    It's worth noting that things only really get interesting from the second year, when you have a lot more free rein on what you can do module-wise. At that point you can take what interests you.

The first year tends to be a few specific but mostly quite broad modules related to your subject so that everyone's on the same base level. People find it boring if they took the subject as an A-Level as it covers some old ground.

Don't forget to feed back if you get bored via a student rep or to your course leader. Some universities have mid-module evaluations so that they can improve it. All feedback is helpful.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.