Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to get all As without tuition? watch

ReputationRep:
    Suddenly all my friends have started going tuition and I'm really the only one that hasn't, some of them are so desperate they are going 6:30 in the morning then to school. I'm not struggling at the moment and nor want to waste my parents money but is it possible to do well without a tutor? btw im taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English. This is for AS

ReputationRep:
    My sister didn't get any tuition and got three A's in A2. It's definitely possible, but it's down to how confident you feel you can achieve it. Maybe get tuition for any subject you feel your struggling on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Got A* across the board with a) no tutor and b) self taught 2 of the subjects

Don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    I did maths, biology, chemistry and German at AS and got 4 As.

Dropped maths and got 3 A*s at A2 - no tuition - it'd definitely possible because there are so many resources out there to help you teach yourself things.

ReputationRep:
    Never had any tutor and still did well. You can always ask your teacher for help if you don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got 3A*s and one A without tuition, she self taught herself IT too so yeah, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, it doesnt matter what help you get. If your smart you can get 3 A grades without too much fuss.

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Never had a tutor, got 6 As at AS. It only requires hard work

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics here, all As at AS, and all A*s at A2, no tuition.

It's definitely possible to do well without a tutor, so try not to worry (easier said than done, I know)!

You could always broach the subject with your parents, just to see how they feel about you getting a tutor, just in case you should ever decide you need one? That way, in the event that you do, they'll have already thought about it and potentially set funds aside specifically for it, so you can be more prepared for study panics as they arise.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys! Feeling more confident now

ReputationRep:
    I had no tutor and pretty much self-taught most of Maths and Further Maths and my A Levels went very well. But if you do find yourself struggling I know that tutoring can be an excellent resource. I have family members who went from a U to an A and something like a D to a B in Maths O Level and GCSE respectively due to tutoring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveToArgue)
    Never had a tutor, got 6 As at AS. It only requires hard work
    CAN YOU PLEASE GUIDE ME WITH ALL YOUR STRATEGIES AND TECHNIQUES. i ENDED UP AS u GRADE.. I REALLY NEED TO COVER.. SCIENCE SUBJECTS AND MATHS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Got A* across the board with a) no tutor and b) self taught 2 of the subjects

Don't worry!
    CAN YOU PLEASE GUIDE ME WITH YOUR TECHNIQUES... i ENDED UP AS u GRADE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cirrusprime)
    Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics here, all As at AS, and all A*s at A2, no tuition.

It's definitely possible to do well without a tutor, so try not to worry (easier said than done, I know)!

You could always broach the subject with your parents, just to see how they feel about you getting a tutor, just in case you should ever decide you need one? That way, in the event that you do, they'll have already thought about it and potentially set funds aside specifically for it, so you can be more prepared for study panics as they arise.

Good luck!
    PLEASE CAN YOU TELL WHAT WAS YOUR STRATEGIES, AND BOOKS... i REALLY NEED TO CHANGE MY GRADE FROM U

ReputationRep:
    No you don't need tuition , although it's different for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatesauce)
    Suddenly all my friends have started going tuition and I'm really the only one that hasn't, some of them are so desperate they are going 6:30 in the morning then to school. I'm not struggling at the moment and nor want to waste my parents money but is it possible to do well without a tutor? btw im taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English. This is for AS
    I took maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology and STEP I-III. I didn't get a tutor and got A*A*ABB(respectively), plus 221. I studied extra maths(extra modules and some undergrad stuff) throughout the year and was 1 UMS and 4 UMS off an A in chemistry and biology respectively. In the exam season I focused too much on maths and particularly physics(wasted a lot of time trying to get A* in physics) so if I could have easily made up those few UMS in chemistry and biology if I'd really wanted to. Maths and physics were more important to my application(and much more interesting) so I thought it best to focus on them but if you want to spread your time across all of your subjects it is possible to get straight As without tuition.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.