Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading the P1 and P3 messages, and someone brought up about drawing graphs in pen and pencil.

I've always drawn graphs/box plots/scatter diagrams in pencil; my teacher has never told us about (edexcel) wanting candidates to draw in pen...

Can anyone clarify this:

i) i can draw in pencil, without being deducted marks
    ii) i have to draw in pen..

Thanks for your help guys and good luck for Friday!Also, if anyone has any hard questions for everyone to look at that would be cool!

(Original post by Specialheffa)
    I was just reading the P1 and P3 messages, and someone brought up about drawing graphs in pen and pencil.

I've always drawn graphs/box plots/scatter diagrams in pencil; my teacher has never told us about (edexcel) wanting candidates to draw in pen...

Can anyone clarify this:

i) i can draw in pencil, without being deducted marks
    ii) i have to draw in pen..

Thanks for your help guys and good luck for Friday!Also, if anyone has any hard questions for everyone to look at that would be cool!
    they had a comment on one of the examiner's reports I looked at for edexcel saying it might help candidates to draw digrams/graphs in pencil so they could correct them better etc.

i dont remember if this was for p3 or s1 but it holds the same really for either

rosie

ReputationRep:
    my stats teacher emphasises at the end of each lesson remember use pencil to draw graphs histograms box plots etc in our mocks he didnt mark people that had used a pen, he is a good teacher so i think he knows what he is talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    my stats teacher emphasises at the end of each lesson remember use pencil to draw graphs histograms box plots etc in our mocks he didnt mark people that had used a pen, he is a good teacher so i think he knows what he is talking about
    Yea, that's like mine! Anyway, the amount of mistakes i make with bloody graphs, i'll be there forever with pen! lol

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday on m1 exam, i forgot i had 3 pencils on my desk...all drawings(v-c graph + slopes + forces acting on particles)....i did everything in pen. :eek:

I don't think they deduct marks for that, that'd have been very hash, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljosh)
    Yesterday on m1 exam, i forgot i had 3 pencils on my desk...all drawings(v-c graph + slopes + forces acting on particles)....i did everything in pen. :eek:

I don't think they deduct marks for that, that'd have been very hash, don't you think?
    no they wont, we were discussing whether they would deduct from us because we used pencil.

ReputationRep:
    You should use pencei, so that you can correct mistakes.

People were saying that you should do graphs in pen because the exams are scanned SO THAT EXAMINERS CAN MARK THEM ONLINE.

This is wrong. Examiners for Edexcel do not mark written scripts online under any circumsatnces.

Scripts (papers) are sent direct to the examiner from the centre. The examiner then marks this on the paper, not on a computer. The paper is later scanned, but this is for storage use only, and if the student wants a photocopy paper returned for an appeal.

Drawing in pencil is fine. If in doubt check on the front of the exam. If it does not tell you that you have to draw in oen, then you may use pencil.

(Original post by JHJH)
    You should use pencei, so that you can correct mistakes.

People were saying that you should do graphs in pen because the exams are scanned SO THAT EXAMINERS CAN MARK THEM ONLINE.

This is wrong. Examiners for Edexcel do not mark written scripts online under any circumsatnces.

Scripts (papers) are sent direct to the examiner from the centre. The examiner then marks this on the paper, not on a computer. The paper is later scanned, but this is for storage use only, and if the student wants a photocopy paper returned for an appeal.

Drawing in pencil is fine. If in doubt check on the front of the exam. If it does not tell you that you have to draw in oen, then you may use pencil.
    Errm I am sure this is wrong.
    They definitely marked the January ones online. That is why they were able to release the results a week early.

rosie

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2004

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.