Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how ethylbenzene has 3 hydrogen environments? I thought it was 5 but apparently it's 3 and I don't get why?
    Please save me I hate this
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Benzene H's count as though they are all of the same type, so count as one environment, even though they are different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Benzene H's count as though they are all of the same type, so count as one environment, even though they are different.
    Oh really thank you! Is this true whatever the benzene is attached to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At A-level, it will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Really? Since when was that the A-Level curriculum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infraspecies)
    Really? Since when was that the A-Level curriculum?
    What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoymous1111)
    What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I'm expressing outrage at how the A-levels seem to have changed over the years. Either than, or different exam boards. It's irrelevant, so don't stress it twinkleshine.

ReputationRep:
    I know OCR A best, using Jun 2014 F324 Q4 as an example, there is a set of peaks around shift = 7, which looks like a quartet with integration stated as 4.

The OCR A states: "Candidates will be expected to identify aromatic protons from chemical shift values but will not be expected to analyse their splitting patterns."

So, candidates would be expected to get the type of environment from the shift value, the number of H from the integration and IGNORE the splitting pattern.

Jun 2015 F324 is a better example of how OCR expect you to interpret benzene Hs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.