Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This sounds a bit weird but stick with it.

I'm English but I've been to international schools most of my life (dads job.) I start uni at the end of the month and I'm a bit nervous about living in England again.

Anyway my mum told me that my nan set up a savings account for me and there's quite a lot of money in it. Not enough for a car or anything but way more than I've ever had before. My nan told me I should spend some of it to help me 'fit in'. I'm not utterly clueless but I'm not really sure what to do with it. I won't have much for my room or clothes and stuff cos obvs I'm flying here and my allowance isn't massive, so what should I get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Fedoras are very in these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frannie1997)

I'm English but I've been to international schools most of my life (dads job.) I start uni at the end of the month and I'm a bit nervous about living in England again.

Anyway my mum told me that my nan set up a savings account for me and there's quite a lot of money in it. Not enough for a car or anything but way more than I've ever had before. My nan told me I should spend some of it to help me 'fit in'. I'm not utterly clueless but I'm not really sure what to do with it. I won't have much for my room or clothes and stuff cos obvs I'm flying here and my allowance isn't massive, so what should I get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't worry too much about filling your room unless there are things you can't bring over but think would help you feel at home. The less you have in your room, the less you will have to move around in the future. People will see the most of you out and about, so think about mobile possessions which might give a good first impression such as a clean and tidy pair of shoes, a watch, a versatile jacket, maybe some decent jeans. When looking at clothes, don't make the mistake I have over the last few years and blow your money on lots of cheap stuff that won't last; go for branded and better quality which won't tear or degrade, and keep an eye out for sales in shops which will bring prices down to normal. Unfortuntely, people will look up to you for your clothing choices as this is the first impression they have of you.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, some Jack Wills.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of a fedora in Newcastle in October.

I have a North Face jacket, I've been in Helsinki for four years and I wear stuff from Monki a lot. Do they have that there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Never try to fit in. Be yourself! Buy something that would benefit you academically rather than material things or
    better yet, save the money.

ReputationRep:
    Wear what you want, nobody other than the people not worth your time will care about it.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on how and who you want to "fit in" with. I really wouldn't worry about fitting in at uni as there's a very wide range of people, communities, ethnicities, etc... You will not stand out unless you're wearing a pink suit to a lecture.

The easiest way is physically going shopping, don't do online shopping if you do not know what you want. High-street retailers like Topman and H&M have a demographic of young adults so anything you find in those stores will usually allow you to "fit in". You also have the opportunity of observing the clothes of your age group while shopping, which is obviously very helpful.

On the other hand, like I said, fitting in university shouldn't be a worry. If anything I'd try my best to stand out, but there's no obligations to that. Good luck, and welcome back.

ReputationRep:
    Rub on tattoos, wet-look legginings, a skimpy tube top, hairspray, glitter, lipstick, hooker heels, and a clip on nose ring.

Then you're all set.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've already got all that stuff

Where I am now is pretty conformist, there's definitely a uniform and it really helped me to fit in before. I think I was just trying to figure out what my new uniform should be, brands etc.

But if it's not like that in England I won't worry about it and I'll spend my money on the new iPad instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Universities work very differently from schools in many of the social aspects. University is the first time most people have left relatively closed social environments where 'fitting in' in the norm, and anything different can be (not always and not by all) marginalised.

University is often the first time people have had the chance to make their own decisions about what they wear, who they associate with etc etc. Frankly, you are much more likely to 'fit in' by being English but with a Swedish fashion sense, than being English dressed from any English high street.

I'd save the money for books, vacation trips, a decent laptop etc, things that will help your studies.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you've already got clothes then wear them.

I don't understand why you'd want to waste your savings on items to help you 'fit in', what does that mean anyway? Pave your own path when you're at university, don't try to become one of these drones that wear the same brands, talk the same talk and unfortunately can't walk the walk. University is about realising your potential and hopefully discovering yourself.

If I were you I'd buy things that I need. Right now I need headphones and some boots for Winter, don't know about you..

ReputationRep:
    Expensive brands only, trust me.

Don't be the Primark pleb.

ReputationRep:
    Catch a STD during freshers. It's not a good thing to "fit in" at uni, most people are not an example you want to follow. You'll know what I mean in ten years time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It doesn't sound weird, it's completely understandable why you feel that why.
    All I say is, there isn't much you can buy to 'fit in', buy whatever you want to buy to make you feel comfortable. Just be yourself and dress how you want to dress and make your room comfortable to the point where you feel at home etc.

ReputationRep:
    To hell with that! Unless you tend to go round in a spandex jumpsuit wear whatever the hell you like! I wear a shirt, trousers and blaser, we've got a punkish dressing guy, a fella who dresses 'street', standard tshirt and jeans, there's 6 of us in the class and just about everyone is dressed differently. Just wear whatever you feel good wearing.

(Original post by gundog48)
    To hell with that! Unless you tend to go round in a spandex jumpsuit wear whatever the hell you like! I wear a shirt, trousers and blaser, we've got a punkish dressing guy, a fella who dresses 'street', standard tshirt and jeans, there's 6 of us in the class and just about everyone is dressed differently. Just wear whatever you feel good wearing.
    This guy has it right.

Wear whatever the **** you want. If you truly want to be categorised, whatever you end up wearing will fit some form of fashion style/group.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Crate of Jack Daniels should be more than enough to "fit in" and get to know pretty much everyone at your uni.
    Your dress sense would suddenly become irrelevant.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.