Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just started Sixth Form, and I've been fine so far, but now work is beginning to pile: I have a presentation due and have no idea how to begin (we have been thrown in at the deep end on this one!), a massive project for philosophy (okay, it's probably not as bad as I think it is...) and more. I know that's not a huge amount - at all - but I have problems with getting VERY overwhelmed VERY quickly due to mental health issues (and a consequent inability to focus very well), and so will end up procrastinating because I simply can't cope. As my workload increases substantially from this amount, how exactly can I cope?
    I mean, I'm sure it's obvious...but my brain just can't think it through; there's this wall of just pure confusion that I find myself floundering in and I can't really get past! Don't know if that makes sense or not?
    Thanks so much for your time! I can't even express my gratitude to you for taking the time to read this and help. Love you people so much - you are all so welcoming and understanding!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

One thing which you could try to make doing your work less overwhelming is using a simple reward system. For example, set yourself a target to work for half an hour, then take a ten minute break doing something else you enjoy, e.g. listen to some music, check social media etc. Then work for another half an hour, then spend ten minutes doing something else, and so on until you've done everything you need to do. The key to this is to make sure you actually do work in the time you give yourself, and to stick to the times - don't be tempted to extend the breaks as you may end up not going back and finishing the work! I've never actually used this sort of system myself, but I've heard that other people have had success with it.

Another thing you can do is use any free periods you have to get started on your homework, so you won't have quite as much to do when you get home. It's a good idea to try and get your homework done as soon as possible after you get given it so that it doesn't start to pile up too much, and starting homework during free periods can help with this.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi

One thing which you could try to make doing your work less overwhelming is using a simple reward system. For example, set yourself a target to work for half an hour, then take a ten minute break doing something else you enjoy, e.g. listen to some music, check social media etc. Then work for another half an hour, then spend ten minutes doing something else, and so on until you've done everything you need to do. The key to this is to make sure you actually do work in the time you give yourself, and to stick to the times - don't be tempted to extend the breaks as you may end up not going back and finishing the work! I've never actually used this sort of system myself, but I've heard that other people have had success with it.

Another thing you can do is use any free periods you have to get started on your homework, so you won't have quite as much to do when you get home. It's a good idea to try and get your homework done as soon as possible after you get given it so that it doesn't start to pile up too much, and starting homework during free periods can help with this.

Good luck!
    Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to reply. I'd read advice telling me to do so countless times in the summer, but as soon as I begun and started panicking I completely forgot!! So THANK you. Yes, I will give it a try.
    As for the frees...well, I don't get frees (I have 2 double standard: have to use one for my harp lesson and one for German speaking practice - wa-hey!), but on the off chance I get a little bit, I fully intend to use it (I'm a socially incapable person without about 2 friends anyway so it's fine
    THANK YOU again <3

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.