Turn on thread page Beta

Being Disabled at University ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Currently visiting uni's near home (London) so that I can drive to my Uni and still live at home during the 3 years. When I've told people this they always say that I'll 'miss the uni experience' by living at home.
    I have chronic pain so cannot do many things idependently (cooking,cleaning, making my own bed!!) so I think it would be easier to live at home where my parents could help me.
    does anyone else have a disability at Uni and have any suggestions for me?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to the disability offices as soon as you can.
    While you're looking round, not just when you get a place.
    They should be around on Open Days etc.
    Some are really helpful and give you masses of advice because they have dealt with students like you before.
    It just makes you feel more supported

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxoooxxx)
    Currently visiting uni's near home (London) so that I can drive to my Uni and still live at home during the 3 years. When I've told people this they always say that I'll 'miss the uni experience' by living at home.
    I have chronic pain so cannot do many things idependently (cooking,cleaning, making my own bed!!) so I think it would be easier to live at home where my parents could help me.
    I don't have a major disability myself but have a few tips. Sorry if this sounds obvious but if you are considering driving in London do a test drive in rush hour traffic to see how long the journeys will actually take, especially if you have a 9am because traffic can be horrendous and check the parking situations. Also on open days go and talk to each unis disability support team- explain your situation and see how helpful they are. Overall it sounds like you are making the right decision for yourself because this way you can still get the care you need and concentrate on your work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxoooxxx)
    Personally, I have a physical disability that makes me have chronic pain (among other things), I found it easier to just live on campus as the commute would have been far too much for me to cope with. Things like cleaning, doing laundry, etc, I left for days where I was either more able or for when my parents came to see me. As for things like cooking, there are ways round that (e.g. cooking with flatmates to ease, or even just simply batch preparing food when you're more well and heating it up in the microwave when the pain levels are too high).
    Having said that, if you feel that you will be able to make the commute then by all means do! I know how helpful it can be to have someone nearby that can help out if you become too unwell. My dad works nearby my uni so I didn't have a problem in that respect.

I got in touch with my university's student support service and they were very helpful - they allocated me my personal disability adviser and she is my go to person for any issues (e.g. being unwell, needing individual exam arrangements adjusted, informing my department of my disabilities, setting up a personal evacuation plan with help from health and safety, etc.). I was also put in contact with my department's disability liaison officer and they were able to help me whenever I had problems as well (not entirely sure if this is a common position in universities though).

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.