The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jedanselemyia
You really need to get out of that eurocentric mindset and learn a bit about what Western countries have done in Africa and in the Middle East.

You're deeply misinformed and it's a bit embarrassin to read :redface:
cheers love.

again, we don't owe them again. look at the middle east..as rich as the EU now..and how little they do.

just because we were part of the reason its messed up doesnt mean we need to help them out now. thats life.

half the world is messed up.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
cheers love.

again, we don't owe them again. look at the middle east..as rich as the EU now..and how little they do.

just because we were part of the reason its messed up doesnt mean we need to help them out now. thats life.

half the world is messed up.

I do agree that Middle Eastern countries should take in more refugees, including the US.

But it does? It may seem sentimental but we're human at the end of the day

And how much of that is due to the Eu and US? yh right

Anyway, enough of derailing the thread. France is one of the countries that should suck it up, hard, and take in their share of reguees.
Original post by jedanselemyia
I do agree that Middle Eastern countries should take in more refugees, including the US.

But it does? It may seem sentimental but we're human at the end of the day

And how much of that is due to the Eu and US? yh right

Anyway, enough of derailing the thread. France is one of the countries that should suck it up, hard, and take in their share of reguees.
no. if you want them take them in yourself. or donate what it costs to fund one yourself.

unless refugees are necessary economically or at least half justified good luck.

have a good day miss embarrassed.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
no. if you want them take them in yourself. or donate what it costs to fund one yourself.

unless refugees are necessary economically or at least half justified good luck.

have a good day miss embarrassed.

No prob.

Thanks hun x
Reply 84
Original post by Foo.mp3
Nope, but neither do I think they need to travel 4,350km, passing through a dozen countries and crossing a continent, in order to escape the chaos in Syria:mute:

Spoiler

lol i hope you know that britain are the main players in the whole middle-east shagging. why don't you complain about the government dropping bombs on their children and funding ISIS instead? we helped whipe out an entire nation (palestine), but i guess you're cool with that as long as they don't end up here

p.s. the pakistani guys i mentioned in my first post came to calais to film a doc on syrian refugees. after going to all the camps, they could not find a single syrian. all of the refugees i saw were from french ex-colonies. you don't know the situation, just going by what daily mail says i assume. the refugee crisis that you think has only just begun has actually been going on since 2008.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulf

so i got there and noticed that everyone looked so angry, old and depressed for some reason -

Not actually their fault that they're old.
Angry and depressed maybe.
But we're all going to be old.

No need to discriminate on age grounds.
I'm French and I live in Paris. I do get the feeling that a lot of French people are racist. But then I don't think you should generalize too much, there are still open-minded people around. It's getting worse since the terror attacks last Friday. Great opportunity for the National Front (far-right party), given that elections are to come...
You just put a whole In your whole arguement by using the term Paki. You ignoramus
Reply 88
Original post by bulf
WARNING: long wall of text incoming (definitely worth the read though).

i have a (white) friend who lives there and he invited me to come for the day since france is only about 3 hours away from london in a car. now, my mum warned me saying that they really hate algerians (im algerian) but i (nicely) told her to shutup because its the 21st century and the **** that happened back in her day probably doesn't.

so i got there and noticed that everyone looked so angry, old and depressed for some reason - it was strange. we went for a drive around the center of calais and got pulled over by some mean looking french policemen with pistols and hand grenades attached to their belt. they stopped us and asked for our papers. we showed them our passports and they let us go. when i asked them why they pulled me over they just said "control".

after that, we see a group of homeless people (children, women, men ...) outside a supermarket and they started talking to us. we learnt that they were actually refugees (they were showing us pictures of babies on fire and loads of other messed up **** that was going on in their country) and they were asking us to buy them water. these guys were legit the nicest people i've ever met. we went in the supermarket and bought them water and food. some pakistani guys from england found us and there and told us about how they got stopped, searched, and interrogated for 4 hours by french police at the border. after those guys left me and my friend agreed that they were talking absolute smack there was no way that happened based off the fact that they were brown lol (or so we thought..).

anyway they left and the supermarket security were giving me and my friend really dirty looks (i assumed it was normal in france to have a permanently angry face - based off the few hours i was there). they got on their phone and 3 police cars come to the scene. they didn't speak to us, they just chilled there and watched us chat to the refugees. we said goodbye and drove off - that's when the police started following us and eventually pulled us over (again). they asked for our passports (again), searched our car and kept asking me if i was a journalist. they found nothing in the car and when i asked them why i was pulled over, they said "control" (again).

it was pretty obvious that we were getting pulled because i was algerian when we thought about the fact that he was living there for 2 years and has never been stopped by police, but we agreed that the ultimate test would be to see if they stop me at the border when i drive back to england. there were 3 cars in front of me trying to get past the border and they went through w/o any problems. guess what happened to me? yep - "control". they searched every inch of my car and myself and gave me the same "control" nonsense and let me through. when i got to the english border i was cracking jokes with the old cockney bordermen about my experience in france and they set me on my way. as i was still going through the border i told one of the english ladies (she was stood with a sign telling people where to go) that she looked beautiful and she smiled, said thank you and i continued driving. i could not believe the massive contrast between english people and the french - the border patrol in france looked like they could put a bullet in your skull at any given second. what is going on lol either british people are the nicest people on earth or the french are just garbage.

i wrote this not to hate on france or the french people but to see if there was maybe an explanation for what happened. i refuse to believe that a country like france can be this openly racist. also what are they feeding their police officers? they're all like 6 foot and built like tanks (even the women). that experience gave me the urge to join ISIS and burn france to the ground lol

Yes, this is a generalisation, but in my experience France is a pretty racist country. I haven't experienced something like that anywhere else and I've visited the US a lot. US people are more shouty about their racism, so at least you can see it for what it is and take it from there. In France it is more subtle. Not saying one is better than the other but it's different and you do notice it less in France but it certainly exists and it's quite strong. You can see it easily with the votes the Front National. I kind of feel for many French people they think unless your family history is French then you will never be French. They have a very strong sense of French identity. It is part of the reason so many older people are terrible at speaking English (I mean this in a way that for non-English speaking countries it is incredibly beneficial that they learn English as a 2nd language and France was pretty late to this game). It is changing with the younger people though, they are more progressive :smile:

Unfortunately I think it'll be a while until the racism against Arabs in particular disappears though. French think they are better than them. Though Arab people in France do cause problems (IN MY EXPERIENCE) I think it is mainly a reaction to French not accepting them and treating them poorly.

I'm sorry you had to experience this. You know what I think every time I go to France? Thank god this isn't my country. Unfortunately I see Britain slowly heading in their direction...

edit- uUGH i hate when you reply to a thread and then see it's 2 yrs old. why don't u just make a new thread ffs
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Moura
Yes, this is a generalisation, but in my experience France is a pretty racist country. I haven't experienced something like that anywhere else and I've visited the US a lot. US people are more shouty about their racism, so at least you can see it for what it is and take it from there. In France it is more subtle. Not saying one is better than the other but it's different and you do notice it less in France but it certainly exists and it's quite strong. You can see it easily with the votes the Front National. I kind of feel for many French people they think unless your family history is French then you will never be French.

Sarkozy, the last French President, was the son of a Hungarian immigrant. Manuel Valls, the last Prime Minister, and Anne Hidalgo, the current Mayor of Paris, were born Spanish. Millions of immigrants from Italy, Spain, Poland, Vietnam, etc. are well accepted and considered French by everybody. The problem is with those that refuse to abandon their former culture, specifically Arabs.
French women/girls are racist! I'm surprised nobody's noticed that since they are so blinded for their love towards the French

Latest