The Student Room Group

plagiarism

does anyone of you guys know how the IB checks for plagiarism?
what method does the IB use?
do they check every single piece of work handed in?
what is considered to be plagiarism?
im student of an english boarding school and some students here a fricking scared of being caught for plagiarism...i wouldn't consider that as plagiarism. using ideas of work which was handed in years ago...

thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

guilty conscience? :smile:

what method does the IB use?

people disagree on this. I'm not sure myself.

do they check every single piece of work handed in?
This is physically impossible to do

what is considered to be plagiarism?

Direct quoting/using ideas/paraphrasing materials that are not your own without referencing.

im student of an english boarding school and some students here a fricking scared of being caught for plagiarism...i wouldn't consider that as plagiarism. using ideas of work which was handed in years ago...

As long as you referenced you shouldn't be caught. BUT if you use ideas of work of previous students...that technically wouldn't be your own idea...just don't copy word for word or anything and you should be all right.

The bottom line is: REFERENCE!!!
Reply 2
They use a system called turnitin. www.turnitin.com
Don't cheat! They will catch you!

When you don't reference someone elses work, you are cheating.

In most of my work I use ideas from 50+ years ago, I still have to say where it's from.
Reply 3
this is hilarious...people really shouldn't be worried about being caught for plagiarism if they haven't indulged in that activity. LOL.
which was why I put:

me
guilty conscience?

(We've had this thread before, BTW)
Reply 5
HMSChocolate
which was why I put:

(We've had this thread before, BTW)

sorry couldn't find it...
link?
thanks
doesn't matter. it got buried pretty soon. I wouldn't be able to find it. I'm just saying, you're not the first to ask this...which is quite disconcerting because you shouldn't be asking it all. just reference and stop worrying.
Reply 7
HMSChocolate
doesn't matter. it got buried pretty soon. I wouldn't be able to find it. I'm just saying, you're not the first to ask this...which is quite disconcerting because you shouldn't be asking it all. just reference and stop worrying.

ITS NOT ME!!!:mad:
but how are they supposed to reference?
Mustermann, Tim; Extended Essay: The impact of Aids on the city of Capetown; 2002??

this EE doesn't exsist...its made up
but i think you get the point...
I know it's not you. When I said 'you shouldn't be asking' I meant people in general.

But anyway, in your friends' cases - well, I'm a bit lost. Ethically its not your own work and not referencing wouldn't be right, whereas in reality no one would ever know that you got ideas from previous students. So...
Reply 9
HMSChocolate
I know it's not you. When I said 'you shouldn't be asking' I meant people in general.

But anyway, in your friends' cases - well, I'm a bit lost. Ethically its not your own work and not referencing wouldn't be right, whereas in reality no one would ever know that you got ideas from previous students. So...

is there no way to find out?
if the essay is too good, they might check the inet. but they do not have a database of all essays ever handed it, do they?
I'm not saying there's no way to find out. Chances are: the essay will be sent to a different examiner from the one who examined the previous essay. They might do a random check.They don't check the essay just because it's 'too good'. There's no such thing. I don't think they keep copies of past essays (that would be a filing nightmare). Thus, it's a matter of luck.

Is this some huge, significant point that will shape the whole essay? Regardless, your friend just has to make sure they include enough of their own work/analysis and not just rely ONLY on this one point they got from a past essay. Most of the points/analysis of the essay should be their own work. They should not be basing the whole of their essay around this idea they got from someone else when they can't reference it.
Reply 11
hey dogfights...u have nothing to worry about, right...

let your friends fight their own battles...(pro plagiarism, against..whatever)

you should concentrate on your own referencing :smile:
Reply 12
HMSChocolate
I'm not saying there's no way to find out. Chances are: the essay will be sent to a different examiner from the one who examined the previous essay. They might do a random check.They don't check the essay just because it's 'too good'. There's no such thing. I don't think they keep copies of past essays (that would be a filing nightmare). Thus, it's a matter of luck.

Is this some huge, significant point that will shape the whole essay? Regardless, your friend just has to make sure they include enough of their own work/analysis and not just rely ONLY on this one point they got from a past essay. Most of the points/analysis of the essay should be their own work. They should not be basing the whole of their essay around this idea they got from someone else when they can't reference it.

ok, but that would mean, that the examiner must recognize the essay or the idea....isn't that impossible?
examiner read hundreds of essays of the same topic every year...and then when the essay is like 5 years old. AND the probability is very low, that it will be sent to the same examiner..
thats my view.
thanks
exactly.
Reply 14
dogfights
ok, but that would mean, that the examiner must recognize the essay or the idea....isn't that impossible?
examiner read hundreds of essays of the same topic every year...and then when the essay is like 5 years old. AND the probability is very low, that it will be sent to the same examiner..
thats my view.
thanks

You are correct. However, if the examiner feels that something isn't right, or feels that there should have been a reference, etc, he/she can fail you based on that alone. That's why it's always better to put a reference.

Also the examiner can just put it through turnitin and bye bye diploma.
Reply 15
Deus
You are correct. However, if the examiner feels that something isn't right, or feels that there should have been a reference, etc, he/she can fail you based on that alone. That's why it's always better to put a reference.

Also the examiner can just put it through turnitin and bye bye diploma.

yes but than the previous essay must be in the database...
and they don't scan every essay in and upload it to turn it in...
the essay in question COULD be in the database. though if you don't copy word for word, I don't see how turnitin could detect anything. after all, it's only a machine/software on a machine. And to use the IBO's own words, Can a machine know?? You decide! :wink:
Reply 17
lol HMS u crack me up hahahaha....

that's exactly the reason why i didnt choose that essay title hahaha...
haha, actually Lc gave me that idea, over IM :wink:
Reply 19
ooooooh...trying to arouse slightly lesbian, slightly jealous feelings in me eh???

well

its working

grrrrrr

(back to the topic of plagiarism now...before deus and aimee hav sumtin to say about it..they scare me!)

Latest

Trending

Trending