Turn on thread page Beta

is it possible to apply university with a slightly different name? watch

ReputationRep:
    When I go to uni, I'm thinking about going by a slightly different (first) name. Is this possible?

(Original post by loveleest)
    When I go to uni, I'm thinking about going by a slightly different (first) name. Is this possible?
    The name you use must match the name that's on your legal documents (e.g. passport, driver's licence etc.).

ReputationRep:
    All of your certificates and your reference etc will be in your original name. Better to apply with your original name but introduce yourself by the new name to everyone when you get there, and say. 'Everyone calls me X' when you meet the tutors who have you down under your real name. Much simpler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    All of your certificates and your reference etc will be in your original name. Better to apply with your original name but introduce yourself by the new name to everyone when you get there, and say. 'Everyone calls me X' when you meet the tutors who have you down under your real name. Much simpler.
    but how would that work? so when I get down to the uni i request for a name change?

ReputationRep:
    but how would that work? so when I get down to the uni i request for a name change?
    Just tell people face to face what to call you. Your real name is only going to appear on your ID card and you don't show that to people you interact with on a daily basis. I have always been known by my middle name, and although official documents have my first name on them, in daily life no one even knows what it is. It's only a problem if you make it one.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.