Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I picked A level, physics, mathematics, it and biology.
    Now that it's been about 1 week into my lessons I have found that Physics is incredibly hard. For GCSE i got an A in both Mathematics and Physics. Some A* students are already dropping it as well.
    I think that it would be too much for me as I seem to get very easily distracted from my revision no matter what. Both my AS physics teachers teach at a really fast passe and no one likes it but its the speed we need to finish it in time.
    Should I drop AS Physics and pickup Sociology, Economics or Phycology or just get free lessons so I can focus on other subjects?

My goal is to get into a career involving computers. From software design to even scripting.

What do I do???

ReputationRep:
    You can't drop physics and not pick up another subject so if you do, you'll definitely need to pick something else. You can't just have two A Levels. I understand where you're coming from because I did AS physics (alongside maths, chemistry and biology) and also felt like dropping it several times throughout the year (though in the end I didn't and actually ended up with an A at AS - then I dropped it). I'd say give it more time, you're only 1 week into your lessons. Physics is definitely hard, and many people struggle, but with strategic revision and lots of practice you should be fine.

Don't say that you can't revise; if you get distracted easily there are ways to get over this. I, for example, do 30 minutes of work followed by a 5 minute break and repeat this 3 times. After the 3rd (sometimes 4th) 30 minute session of work I take a 15/20 minutes long break. If you find that 30 minutes is too long and you still get distracted start with 20 minutes or even 15 (!!) and increase as you go along. Try to do some work every day, as I said I tend to do 1 hour and 30 minutes (not including homework) per day. If you have study periods use them to actually study, preferably somewhere where you won't be distracted - so that would most likely be at school or at the library.

This is a great YouTube channel for physics - helped me a whole lot last year. I imagine someone will make videos for the new specification at some point so you should check on YouTube every so often.

Physics will also be useful for you if you want to do anything computer related (especially if you intend to go to university). Do consider sticking with it! It can be difficult but once you understand it, it can be very rewarding. If you ultimately do decide to drop it, Economics will probably be your best choice. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria98)
    You can't drop physics and not pick up another subject so if you do, you'll definitely need to pick something else. You can't just have two A Levels. I understand where you're coming from because I did AS physics (alongside maths, chemistry and biology) and also felt like dropping it several times throughout the year (though in the end I didn't and actually ended up with an A at AS - then I dropped it). I'd say give it more time, you're only 1 week into your lessons. Physics is definitely hard, and many people struggle, but with strategic revision and lots of practice you should be fine.

Don't say that you can't revise; if you get distracted easily there are ways to get over this. I, for example, do 30 minutes of work followed by a 5 minute break and repeat this 3 times. After the 3rd (sometimes 4th) 30 minute session of work I take a 15/20 minutes long break. If you find that 30 minutes is too long and you still get distracted start with 20 minutes or even 15 (!!) and increase as you go along. Try to do some work every day, as I said I tend to do 1 hour and 30 minutes (not including homework) per day. If you have study periods use them to actually study, preferably somewhere where you won't be distracted - so that would most likely be at school or at the library.

This is a great YouTube channel for physics - helped me a whole lot last year. I imagine someone will make videos for the new specification at some point so you should check on YouTube every so often.

Physics will also be useful for you if you want to do anything computer related (especially if you intend to go to university). Do consider sticking with it! It can be difficult but once you understand it, it can be very rewarding. If you ultimately do decide to drop it, Economics will probably be your best choice. Good luck
    Thank you so much for this. It has actually made me reconsider. As it's the beggining of year 12 we are allowed to change subjects at the moment as its not into the year and I think from what you have said I will try and hold on to it because to be honest I love physics. The theories and learning of the universe is really my cup of tea :P.
    I'm going to keep it on but I will make my final decision after next weeks lessons so I have a good idea of the entirety of the course and its not to late to change.
    Thanks for the advice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.