Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Warning, before you leave your accomodation, take pictures of every wall. They want to retain £70 of my deposit to repaint 2 walls. They have shown me pictures of said walls (could be any walls!) One faint scuff, could easily be removed with a baby wipe, the other mark appears to be a slight hole/dent..I do not recall ever seeing this...honestly. But to charge £45 PER WALL!
    Just a complete scam.
    the place was not in great shape when I moved in, I left the bathroom in a much better state, maybe they should pay me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by muv)
    Warning, before you leave your accomodation, take pictures of every wall. They want to retain £70 of my deposit to repaint 2 walls. They have shown me pictures of said walls (could be any walls!) One faint scuff, could easily be removed with a baby wipe, the other mark appears to be a slight hole/dent..I do not recall ever seeing this...honestly. But to charge £45 PER WALL!
    Just a complete scam.
    the place was not in great shape when I moved in, I left the bathroom in a much better state, maybe they should pay me.
    Did you show them photos of when you moved in? Did you take any?

ReputationRep:
    Sadly not, we were not savvy at that stage, just assumed that it was a normal state of affairs, nothing obviously no graffiti or such, the odd slight scuff, what you would expect really. There is no way the slight marks they say and show are there warrant a complete repaint. After living there for a year I was not aware of anything significant. Halls handbook state that throughout the year they are supposed to check rooms and alert you to any issues. This never happened, had someone said there is a faint scuff on the wall, I would have easily removed it with one of those magic erasor things. It is a big con.
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Did you show them photos of when you moved in? Did you take any?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by muv)
    Sadly not, we were not savvy at that stage, just assumed that it was a normal state of affairs, nothing obviously no graffiti or such, the odd slight scuff, what you would expect really. There is no way the slight marks they say and show are there warrant a complete repaint. After living there for a year I was not aware of anything significant. Halls handbook state that throughout the year they are supposed to check rooms and alert you to any issues. This never happened, had someone said there is a faint scuff on the wall, I would have easily removed it with one of those magic erasor things. It is a big con.
    Sadly it is most definitely not just Unite, it's most landlords. The trick is to photograph every mark and scuff that is around before you even unpack.

ReputationRep:
    [Will be more aware next time. So annoying, especially as out flat last year put up with an oven that took ages to get hot, when reported we were told nothing wrong with it. Wish I had kicked up more of a fuss now, trouble is at 18, and away from home for the first time, you don't realise how you could/should have dealt with it differently. Wish I could put a huge poster up in all halls advising peeps to look at every tiny mark and complain and photograph it. I do not object to paying a small amount to sort out any mark, but £45 a wall...in magnolia, come on, it is a joke and a rip off. Disgraceful fleecing students like this.

QUOTE=Roving Fish;59420473]Sadly it is most definitely not just Unite, it's most landlords. The trick is to photograph every mark and scuff that is around before you even unpack. [/QUOTE]

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.