Turn on thread page Beta

Just started uni, already looking for alternatives watch

ReputationRep:
    This really is crappy. I assumed this was a good uni as people spoke highly of it, but the organisation is absolutely piss poor, and speaking to my friends who are already at uni, this stuff is quite normal everywhere. I feel like I'm just wasting my time, I turn up, we do some stuff for a while, we sit around for ages wasting time, and eventually go home having gained nothing from being there, it's like they woke up in the morning and were surprised to find these students here ready for uni.

I've already written off the rest of induction week because it's just a waste of my time, it's making me kind of worried that I'm already skipping days when I've barely started. Doesn't help that there's only a couple of other people on my course that actually seem remotely down-to-earth. I'm doing Product Design, it's supposed to be a practical subject, instead we spend our time looking at designers who make stuff that doesn't work and discussing the aesthetic benefits of an upside down ****ing urinal. I spend a lot of the time wondering if the teacher is joking or not, it feels like we're being had along for a week-long joke, or that I accidentally walked into the studio of a 'saw you coming' sketch.

The whole things just a damn pain more than anything. I bust my balls getting down there for my timetabled time only to find that I could have had an extra hour in bed, or honestly, just not turned up at all- I would have gotten the same benefit.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask which university you are at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gundog48)
    This really is crappy. I assumed this was a good uni as people spoke highly of it, but the organisation is absolutely piss poor, and speaking to my friends who are already at uni, this stuff is quite normal everywhere. I feel like I'm just wasting my time, I turn up, we do some stuff for a while, we sit around for ages wasting time, and eventually go home having gained nothing from being there, it's like they woke up in the morning and were surprised to find these students here ready for uni.

I've already written off the rest of induction week because it's just a waste of my time, it's making me kind of worried that I'm already skipping days when I've barely started. Doesn't help that there's only a couple of other people on my course that actually seem remotely down-to-earth. I'm doing Product Design, it's supposed to be a practical subject, instead we spend our time looking at designers who make stuff that doesn't work and discussing the aesthetic benefits of an upside down ****ing urinal. I spend a lot of the time wondering if the teacher is joking or not, it feels like we're being had along for a week-long joke, or that I accidentally walked into the studio of a 'saw you coming' sketch.

The whole things just a damn pain more than anything. I bust my balls getting down there for my timetabled time only to find that I could have had an extra hour in bed, or honestly, just not turned up at all- I would have gotten the same benefit.
    Which Uni are you at, you can PM me if you dont want to say it publicly

ReputationRep:
    Bah its just a case of sticking with it, get your bit of paper required to earn average wage in the UK then try to forget the whole experience . Im doing an engineering degree just to get into a job that was easier than the one I was doing but pays 2-6 times as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gundog48)

The induction week isn't meant to be too intellectual, its meant to be more laid back. My induction week was nothing like say week 5 of my course. Give it a few weeks once you've had a chance to actually start your modules properly and then decide if you don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Which university are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.