Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi... just started university this year and applied for a health studies foundation year in stafforshire universty... went to enroll yesterday and start the course and got told that my course wouldnt be running anymore:/ :s !! as you would probably feel pissed! left in a situation where im gunna have to take the year out now because they didnt think to notify me about this when i first applied but anyway regardless.. recieved my grant yesterday aswell... but theirs not information on wether you have to repay this or what not... i did ring student finance but even the guy on the phone didnt quite know... so i just wondered if anyone else has ever had to repay back their maintenance grant due to not doing a uni course anymore.. i would expect for it to be asked back but i dont know help?:/

ReputationRep:
    You don't pay back the maintenance grant, just the maintenance loan.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by annijx)
    hi... just started university this year and applied for a health studies foundation year in stafforshire universty... went to enroll yesterday and start the course and got told that my course wouldnt be running anymore:/ :s !! as you would probably feel pissed! left in a situation where im gunna have to take the year out now because they didnt think to notify me about this when i first applied but anyway regardless.. recieved my grant yesterday aswell... but theirs not information on wether you have to repay this or what not... i did ring student finance but even the guy on the phone didnt quite know... so i just wondered if anyone else has ever had to repay back their maintenance grant due to not doing a uni course anymore.. i would expect for it to be asked back but i dont know help?:/
    Hey there,

I'm very sorry to hear you've had this experience - I'm just going to PM you now for some more information so that someone can contact you and get this all sorted out.

Katie

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like incredible behaviour from the institution. If a university reneges on an offer, doesn't adequately inform you with sufficient time to make alternative arrangements, and leaves you stuck for a year, I would presume that there is a legal solution somewhere. Perhaps you should take advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmEmTheFairy)
    You don't pay back the maintenance grant, just the maintenance loan.
    You pay it back if you withdraw from Uni or interrupt your studies. It will be taken from your next academic years grant - i.e if you get £3000 for the year and you got £1000 already - you would be entitled to the £3000 next year, but only receive £2000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazzzzzla)
    You pay it back if you withdraw from Uni or interrupt your studies. It will be taken from your next academic years grant - i.e if you get £3000 for the year and you got £1000 already - you would be entitled to the £3000 next year, but only receive £2000.
    Oh right ... But i wont be doing that course at all? Or probably not even go to university now because im not sure what i want to do as of yet... So ??:/dont get how that would work with me

ReputationRep:
    Hi when I studied from September and left in March I had to repay my £200 grant so I definitely wouldn't spend the money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    This sounds like incredible behaviour from the institution. If a university reneges on an offer, doesn't adequately inform you with sufficient time to make alternative arrangements, and leaves you stuck for a year, I would presume that there is a legal solution somewhere. Perhaps you should take advice?

Yeah i know:/ very annoyed because now i have to think of some alternative for a year as the course i was meant to do was sort ofthe only thing that would get me onto what i wanted to do... And exactly! I was actually thinking about that... Gunna right a letter of complaint and then also seek some legal advice because i just dont think thats on, left me in a position where i now cant do anything for the year! 😡😡😡😡

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks! I definately was not going to... As i had a feeling i would have to
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    Hi when I studied from September and left in March I had to repay my £200 grant so I definitely wouldn't spend the money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annijx)
    Oh right ... But i wont be doing that course at all? Or probably not even go to university now because im not sure what i want to do as of yet... So ??:/dont get how that would work with me
    I don't understand why you have not sorted out another university as it is still not even started properly. Also - if you do not go back, which quite frankly, is ridiculous - then you would have to pay the money back - or you can do the honest, simple thing and transfer the money back?

It sounds to me that you are making excuses about University and don't even want to study at that level. You aren't gonna get free money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazzzzzla)
    I don't understand why you have not sorted out another university as it is still not even started properly. Also - if you do not go back, which quite frankly, is ridiculous - then you would have to pay the money back - or you can do the honest, simple thing and transfer the money back?

It sounds to me that you are making excuses about University and don't even want to study at that level. You aren't gonna get free money.
    He is clearly trying to pay back the money and Student Finance have been unable to explain what the mechanism is for doing this. It's not a surprise that the OP is considering all of his options when his intended course was terminated when he turned up to enrol, presumably at the beginning of term(?). Scrabbling to get onto any course at the last minute could make things worse.

Repay the grant, apply for something else you want to do, and make a *fun* plan for work, travel, experience over the next 12 months. Try not to spend it just working unless absolutely required by circumstances. It might be the last "free" year you ever get!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey everyone,

Just to update you all on what’s happening.

This course was being delivered by one of our partner colleges,which has sadly not been able to run it this year because there wasn’t going to be enough people on the course.

We’re in contact with the college to see if any of the students will be able to swap to a different course. We’ll also be helping out with any student finance and loans questions.

If anyone else is in the same situation please let me know and I’ll be able to get you in touch with the university so you can get some help and advice on what your options are and where to go from here.

Katie

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.