Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Title pretty much says it all.

I have a BSc Nursing which is obviously NHS funded. Before I started this I asked the question if I would be funded for then doing a Medicine (undergraduate as my nursing degree was not honours) course after I had qualified as this was something I was seriously considering as I had already met the entry requirements through a previous Access Medicine course (sadly didn't get in that year). I was advised I would be funded as Nursing isn't SAAS but NHS funds.

I am about to submit my application and was clarifying something with SAAS over the phone who then dropped the bombshell that I wouldn't receive funding. Granted the gentleman I spoke to suggested I email in to clarify as he wasn't 100% sure as had never come across the scenario before.

Now two of my fellow students have both completed degress (Accounting and Teaching) which were SAAS funded and then went on to do Nursing (qualified now too) so surely they cannot offer support/funding to some Scottish students and not to others? Especially as my decisions were based on them telling me I would receive funding.

And to add further insult to injury Glasgow Uni are suggesting that if I had to self-fund I would be expected to pay the International Post Graduate rates (even though it would not be a PG course I was doing) and the fee's are circa £26k PER YEAR!!! Surely, this cannot be right? If I have to self-fund then I will but the fee's are listed for Scottish undergrad students as£1,820 per year.

HELP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellystewart)
    Title pretty much says it all.

I have a BSc Nursing which is obviously NHS funded. Before I started this I asked the question if I would be funded for then doing a Medicine (undergraduate as my nursing degree was not honours) course after I had qualified as this was something I was seriously considering as I had already met the entry requirements through a previous Access Medicine course (sadly didn't get in that year). I was advised I would be funded as Nursing isn't SAAS but NHS funds.

I am about to submit my application and was clarifying something with SAAS over the phone who then dropped the bombshell that I wouldn't receive funding. Granted the gentleman I spoke to suggested I email in to clarify as he wasn't 100% sure as had never come across the scenario before.

Now two of my fellow students have both completed degress (Accounting and Teaching) which were SAAS funded and then went on to do Nursing (qualified now too) so surely they cannot offer support/funding to some Scottish students and not to others? Especially as my decisions were based on them telling me I would receive funding.

And to add further insult to injury Glasgow Uni are suggesting that if I had to self-fund I would be expected to pay the International Post Graduate rates (even though it would not be a PG course I was doing) and the fee's are circa £26k PER YEAR!!! Surely, this cannot be right? If I have to self-fund then I will but the fee's are listed for Scottish undergrad students as£1,820 per year.

HELP
    As a general rule you have to self fund second degrees, regardless of who funded the first- the exceptions being PGCE/PGDE's and NHS funded courses, which is why your friends going into nursing now don't have to pay although there is limited funding for medicine. Universities are entitled to charge a higher fee for second degrees. If you post in the medicine forum on here I'm sure some people can explain the funding options- I believe for English and Welsh students at least there is more funding for graduate medicine courses and this might apply to Scottish students too. If Glasgow is too expensive look beyond it to other unis.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.