Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying for A-levels soon and want to pursue a career in engineering at university. I know certain A levels that I need to take but I'm confused about what other subjects would increase my chances of being accepted at a top uni.

Here's what I'm definitely doing:

Maths
    Physics

Here's what I'm considering:

Further maths
    economics
    computer science
    geography
    chemistry

Anyone got any advice for my third and fourth option? Will it matter what subjects I will do besides maths and physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimen Z)
    I'm going to be applying for A-levels soon and want to pursue a career in engineering at university. I know certain A levels that I need to take but I'm confused about what other subjects would increase my chances of being accepted at a top uni.

Maths
    Physics

Further maths
    economics
    computer science
    geography
    chemistry

Anyone got any advice for my third and fourth option? Will it matter what subjects I will do besides maths and physics?
    Further Maths and chemistry maybe, I did those four last year. Most love FM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hola!!)
    Further Maths and chemistry maybe, I did those four last year. Most love FM
    Thanks for the advice! Further maths seems like a logical option, btw how much harder did you find further maths than the normal A-level? I'm predicted an A* at gcse but i don't want to get ahead of myself lol.
    Chemistry is a strong subject that's definitely high on my list :yy:
    Last question lol, are you in A2 or university atm? and are you considering engineering too?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! Further maths seems like a logical option, btw how much harder did you find further maths than the normal A-level? I'm predicted an A* at gcse but i don't want to get ahead of myself lol.
    Chemistry is a strong subject that's definitely high on my list :yy:
    Last question lol, are you in A2 or university atm? and are you considering engineering too?
    You're welcome
    Ummm, well at my sixth form they teach us AS maths in one year alongside further maths AS. We do the A2s in the second year. But I know some colleges teach you core 1 2 3 4 in one year, so that depends. Overall I'd say doing fp1 last year has helped me in c3 this year. It's a little bit harder, but not too hard. Just make sure you ask at the time if you don't understand something. I wouldn't say it's harder, it really is just more maths! haha That's good, I dropped chem at the start of A2 because I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. But, if you want to do chemical engineering then you'll need that. I've just started A2 and I'm considering applying for engineering yes.

ReputationRep:

Maths
    Physics

Further maths
    economics
    computer science
    geography
    chemistry

What sort of engineering?

If you aren't sure then F Maths and Chemistry - you haven't mentioned Design Tech - some unis put this alongside Chem as a possible 4th.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what type of engineering you're going into but further maths and chemistry seem to be the best options. Maths and physics a definite.

ReputationRep:
    We are in the same situation. I'm doing triple science and economics in my GCSE's and want to do physics chemistry maths and possibly biology in a levels. I advise you to do chemistry if you are doing anything to do with chemical engineering. But if mechanical engineering do computer science but I advise you not to do geography or economics unless you want to do something related to those subjects.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    What sort of engineering?

If you aren't sure then F Maths and Chemistry - you haven't mentioned Design Tech - some unis put this alongside Chem as a possible 4th.
    I've got a few of engineering fields that I've narrowed it down to but they're quite different to each other so I think yea, further maths and chem seem the best choices to keep my options open in the type of engineering I choose in the future.

I don't do DT at gcse because the teacher is really crappy who doesn't really care so lots of people got low grades last year so im kinda reluctant to do DT at A level just because I don't think I'll be up to the same level as the other students and I don't want it to drag me down :/ but I'm i'll talk to teachers and students about it on open days.

Thanks for the feedback btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryathelionator)
    Depends what type of engineering you're going into but further maths and chemistry seem to be the best options. Maths and physics a definite.
    I'm considering a few types of engineering but yea I think I further maths and chemistry will definitely compliment maths and physics.
    Thanks for replying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hola!!)
    You're welcome
    Ummm, well at my sixth form they teach us AS maths in one year alongside further maths AS. We do the A2s in the second year. But I know some colleges teach you core 1 2 3 4 in one year, so that depends. Overall I'd say doing fp1 last year has helped me in c3 this year. It's a little bit harder, but not too hard. Just make sure you ask at the time if you don't understand something. I wouldn't say it's harder, it really is just more maths! haha That's good, I dropped chem at the start of A2 because I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. But, if you want to do chemical engineering then you'll need that. I've just started A2 and I'm considering applying for engineering yes.
    Yep I think the college i'm hoping to get into does it the same way too and haha thanks for the info, i'll keep it in mind.
    And good luck for uni! hope you get into what you want

ReputationRep:
    I've got a few of engineering fields that I've narrowed it down to but they're quite different to each other so I think yea, further maths and chem seem the best choices to keep my options open in the type of engineering I choose in the future.

I don't do DT at gcse because the teacher is really crappy who doesn't really care so lots of people got low grades last year so im kinda reluctant to do DT at A level just because I don't think I'll be up to the same level as the other students and I don't want it to drag me down :/ but I'm i'll talk to teachers and students about it on open days.

Thanks for the feedback btw!
    OK - don't do DT if you're not doing GCSE.

Go with my first suggestion - even AS Further Maths would be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahlam_Abdi)
    We are in the same situation. I'm doing triple science and economics in my GCSE's and want to do physics chemistry maths and possibly biology in a levels. I advise you to do chemistry if you are doing anything to do with chemical engineering. But if mechanical engineering do computer science but I advise you not to do geography or economics unless you want to do something related to those subjects.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm I'm doing triple science too! but I do computer science and geography too so that's why I'm kinda leaning towards them lol. But I see what you mean, I initally though about geography and economics to have some sort of variation in my choices so maybe I should just take chemistry to have a strong second science subject even if I don't do chem eng. Comp sci is a tough one for me because it's not really a required a level for many degrees, not even computer science! but I can see how the skills could be transferable.
    Thanks for the advise Are you considering engineering too or a different field?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    OK - don't do DT if you're not doing GCSE.

Go with my first suggestion - even AS Further Maths would be good.
    Yea, I think I will, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics are a must for top unis

For your 3rd and 4th subjects I would suggest taking ones that would be relevant to Engineering so I would say Further Maths as you will be doing a serious amout of maths on an engineering degree especially at a top uni also I would say Computer Science as you will most likely have to do some programming at uni, you havent mentioned Electronics either that could also be a good subject to take as it is an Engineering discipline, DT as someone else mentioned is good and some unis list it as a good 3rd/4th subject (like Bath who I believe are ranked 4th for Engineering this year and 2nd last year) and also have a look at a BTEC Level 3 in Engineering (either 6 or 12 units) alongside Maths and Physics it would combine well

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'm doing triple science too! but I do computer science and geography too so that's why I'm kinda leaning towards them lol. But I see what you mean, I initally though about geography and economics to have some sort of variation in my choices so maybe I should just take chemistry to have a strong second science subject even if I don't do chem eng. Comp sci is a tough one for me because it's not really a required a level for many degrees, not even computer science! but I can see how the skills could be transferable.
    Thanks for the advise Are you considering engineering too or a different field?
    Comp sci isnt required because not all schools/colleges offer it, and the subject is taught from the ground up at university, whearas Maths is offered pretty much everywhere

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.