The Student Room Group

Am I an idiot for taking 5 A levels?

I've just started sixth form (year 12). I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths for A-level. I like all of these subjects a lot, and would love to continue all 5 to A2, but I don't know if doing the 5 would be detrimental to my grades. Is the workload for these 5 Subjects manageable, considering I'm aiming for 4A*'s and an oxbridge place?

I want to do a degree in either maths, or something science related (perhaps engineering).

If anybody's interested, I got 7 A*'s and 3 A's at GCSE. My school teaches all these subjects, besides further maths, so unless they can organise for the FMSP to help me, I won't be following any course structure. However, I have a private maths tutor, but she lives an hour away :frown:
Reply 1
If you think you can manage the workload, absolutely go for it :smile: It's not a necessity to have five at all so if you feel you need to let gone at some point then it's not going to be the end of the world realistically.

Just be prepared to put in a LOT of work for it. I don't know enough about Oxbridge myself, but I'm sure they would suffice with 4 A Levels and don't require 5 (someone else will need to confirm).
Reply 2
Oxbridge only take your top 3/most relevant grades, iirc?
5 is really silly. most people do 4 and then drop to 3 for A2. Do 4 you can concentrate on, and also give yourself free time or you'll burn out.
Reply 3
Original post by Inexorably
If you think you can manage the workload, absolutely go for it :smile: It's not a necessity to have five at all so if you feel you need to let gone at some point then it's not going to be the end of the world realistically.

Just be prepared to put in a LOT of work for it. I don't know enough about Oxbridge myself, but I'm sure they would suffice with 4 A Levels and don't require 5 (someone else will need to confirm).

yes, oxbridge only ask for 3. which subject would you recommend me dropping?
Reply 4
Original post by Eanzi
Oxbridge only take your top 3/most relevant grades, iirc?
5 is really silly. most people do 4 and then drop to 3 for A2. Do 4 you can concentrate on, and also give yourself free time or you'll burn out.

Which subject would you recommend me dropping? I see a lot of people on tsr doing 5 subjects and can cope.
Reply 5
Maths and Further Maths are generally considered the same by lots of Universities. May want to think about that.
Reply 6
Original post by vd12345
Which subject would you recommend me dropping? I see a lot of people on tsr doing 5 subjects and can cope.

Well, it's not impossible - but a lot of people on tsr are full of rubbish, and you have doubts already. By all means try all five, but it's not really recommended, especially if you want a social life, a job, extra currics, etc. You're not going to get any bonus from doing 5 over having something else in the bag, you know?

Drop whichever one you enjoy less or think is worth the least. Biology is probably the least maths-based of the lot, but it's good to have some variety.

Give it a few weeks and see how you go, but remember that the workload will increase over the year, especially from march onwards.
Reply 7
Original post by Linda*
Maths and Further Maths are generally considered the same by lots of Universities. May want to think about that.

I have thought about that, but on the flip side, it's considered an essential for a maths degree nowadays, as far as i'm aware. Do you know any good maths uni's that don't require FM?
Original post by vd12345
I have thought about that, but on the flip side, it's considered an essential for a maths degree nowadays, as far as i'm aware. Do you know any good maths uni's that don't require FM?

If you want to do maths at a Uni like Imperial, Cambridge e.t.c, futher maths is very helpful, if not mandatory. The subject you should drop is pretty much dependant on what you intend to do at Uni in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest