Turn on thread page Beta

FP2: Method of Differences - Where have I gone wrong? watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  tumblr_m8fhc6QMya1rww3jzo1_500.png
Views: 101
Size:  10.2 KB

I've done part a and for part b I did the whole let n=1, n=2, n=3 blah blah and nothing cancelled out :/
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by creativebuzz)
    Name:  tumblr_m8fhc6QMya1rww3jzo1_500.png
Views: 101
Size:  10.2 KB

I've done part a and for part b I did the whole let n=1, n=2, n=3 blah blah and nothing cancelled out :/
    What did you get for n=1, n=2 and n=3?

Think back to FP1 and this may simplify the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    What did you get for n=1, n=2 and n=3?

Think back to FP1 and this may simplify the problem.
    n=1:
    1/2

n=2:
    7/6

n=3:
    25/12

Ah, I can't remember much of FP1 :/
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    n=1:
    1/2

n=2:
    7/6

n=3:
    25/12

Ah, I can't remember much of FP1 :/
    Okay, don't worry

Think about the first two things: r and -1. Thinking about what I said about FP1, is there any way to remove those from your calculations (for now) so that you're left with (1/r) - (1/(r+1), something you're more familiar with from this chapter?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, don't worry

Think about the first two things: r and -1. Thinking about what I said about FP1, is there any way to remove those from your calculations (for now) so that you're left with (1/r) - (1/(r+1), something you're more familiar with from this chapter?

Erm can you seperate them so you can have (sigma)r which is 1/2n(n+1) and (sigma)-1 which is just -1 (I think)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, don't worry

Why do you always torture people instead of giving the answer?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Erm can you seperate them so you can have (sigma)r which is 1/2n(n+1) and (sigma)-1 which is just -1 (I think)
    Almost

Your first sum (n(n+1))/2 is right. Now think about the -1. If each 'r' contributes -1 to the overall sum.. how many -1's do you have? (In terms of n).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mrno1324)
    Why do you always torture people instead of giving the answer?
    It'll help them to learn more, and giving the answer is against the spirit of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    Almost

Your first sum (n(n+1))/2 is right. Now think about the -1. If each 'r' contributes -1 to the overall sum.. how many -1's do you have? (In terms of n).
    Hmm would you have r many -1s
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Hmm would you have r many -1s
    Technically you'll have 'n' -1s but I know that that is what you meant. (As if you're summing the first 3 terms (n=3), when r=1 you get -1 from the -1, when r=2 you get another -1 all the way up to n.

Now you can progress with the other half of the question

ReputationRep:
    Technically you'll have 'n' -1s but I know that that is what you meant. (As if you're summing the first 3 terms (n=3), when r=1 you get -1 from the -1, when r=2 you get another -1 all the way up to n.

Now you can progress with the other half of the question
    But doesn't it just give you the same results

Name:  WIN_20150916_203440.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  63.9 KB
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    But doesn't it just give you the same results

Name:  WIN_20150916_203440.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  63.9 KB
    Yes, if you just calculate without splitting up the terms.

But think about why I've asked about the sum of r and -1 and what I mean by 'you're familiar with how to deal with (1/r)-(1/(r+1) when it's a sum'.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you just calculate without splitting up the terms.

But think about why I've asked about the sum of r and -1 and what I mean by 'you're familiar with how to deal with (1/r)-(1/(r+1) when it's a sum'.
    Hmm I'm not entirely sure.. :/
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Hmm I'm not entirely sure.. :/
    From part a you can see that the sum of that one fraction is the same as summing it up when it's broken down into four terms.

The sum of all four terms can then be split up into the sum of the sum of each term.

The sum of (1+2+3) is the same as the sum of (1) + the sum of (2) + the sum of (3).

ReputationRep:
    From part a you can see that the sum of that one fraction is the same as summing it up when it's broken down into four terms.

The sum of all four terms can then be split up into the sum of the sum of each term.

The sum of (1+2+3) is the same as the sum of (1) + the sum of (2) + the sum of (3).
    Yeah I understand that but I don't see how it's allowing my values to cancel out like they should
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Yeah I understand that but I don't see how it's allowing my values to cancel out like they should
    Because you already know the sum of r and -1 for whatever n you choose (from FP1), then you're just concerned about (1/r) - (1/r+1), the sum of which you find by the method of differences.

ReputationRep:
    Because you already know the sum of r and -1 for whatever n you choose (from FP1), then you're just concerned about (1/r) - (1/r+1), the sum of which you find by the method of differences.
    Wait so n and r aren't the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    Wait so n and r aren't the same thing?
    What SeanFM is saying might be slightly clearer to you by writing it out using eqations instead.

He's saying that:

\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \left(r - 1 + \frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right) = \sum_{r=1}^n r - \sum_{r=1}^n 1 + \sum_{r=1}^n \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right)

This reduces to

\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)}{2} - n + \sum_{r=1}^n \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right)

Now apply the method of differences to the last sum only, that is, sum up/evaluate the below sum individually.

\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right) and then add that result to the first two terms in the above equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What SeanFM is saying might be slightly clearer to you by writing it out using eqations instead.

He's saying that:

\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \left(r - 1 + \frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right) = \sum_{r=1}^n r - \sum_{r=1}^n 1 + \sum_{r=1}^n \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right)

This reduces to

\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)}{2} - n + \sum_{r=1}^n \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right)

Now apply the method of differences to the last sum only, that is, sum up/evaluate the below sum individually.

\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{r-1}\right) and then add that result to the first two terms in the above equation.
    Ah I see! But just to make clear, is n and r the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see! But just to make clear, is n and r the same thing? If not, what's the difference?
    r represents what we are putting in r=1,2,3,4....,n-1,n
    For each term! Here it is represnting the general term and r takes all the values listed in the sum and n is one of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.