Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going into my final year of a Biology (BSc) Hons Degree at a university (Polytechnic) ranked around 100 in the UK university table. I achieved a first class in my first year and improved to an 80% within the second year, in addition to this i also have over a years worth of clinical experience.
    Now here is my issue...
    I want to go onto a biologically related MSc, or MRes, course within the UK at a fairly well accredited university however i don't want to "punch above my weight" with regards to the university's i apply to. I know theoretically i am academically eligible to apply for 99% of courses however i am also aware of the extremely competitive nature of the top university's within UK.
    There are a couple of Masters i like the look of at universities such as Cambridge and UCL however this issues is causing me to think twice before applying.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh Beavis)
    I am going into my final year of a Biology (BSc) Hons Degree at a university (Polytechnic) ranked around 100 in the UK university table. I achieved a first class in my first year and improved to an 80% within the second year, in addition to this i also have over a years worth of clinical experience.
    Now here is my issue...
    I want to go onto a biologically related MSc, or MRes, course within the UK at a fairly well accredited university however i don't want to "punch above my weight" with regards to the university's i apply to. I know theoretically i am academically eligible to apply for 99% of courses however i am also aware of the extremely competitive nature of the top university's within UK.
    There are a couple of Masters i like the look of at universities such as Cambridge and UCL however this issues is causing me to think twice before applying.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    You might as well apply for them all. Unless they cost, what do you have to lose? I think UCL charges £50 but that might have just been for law when I looked at it.

I don't think unis care as much for most courses, especially not research ones...there are certain very competitive postgrad courses like Oxford's BCL but in general I don't think they're that fussed where you went especially with a first. I know lots of people from ex-poly unis who did their postgrads at KCL, UCL, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Get a solid first overall (which it sounds like you're on track for) and good references, and you'll have a competitive application at any UK uni. With rare exceptions, the uni you studied at will be mostly irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    You should apply. It'll cost money and time but without applying you'll never get in. And it does seem like you have a very good chance.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed that your university won't be the deciding factor, particularly if you have good references and a strong first. As others have said, even strong universities can sometimes be... umm... not as selective about candidates to MSc courses. They are a very good revenue stream for universities. And on this same theme... what are you planning to do with the MSc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Agreed that your university won't be the deciding factor, particularly if you have good references and a strong first. As others have said, even strong universities can sometimes be... umm... not as selective about candidates to MSc courses. They are a very good revenue stream for universities. And on this same theme... what are you planning to do with the MSc?
    I

I was originally going to apply for Medicine within the UK, however I had a change of heart and I now want to go down the PhD route. I think i will see once I have my masters, either apply for post grad medicine (those who accept candidates with an MSc) or continue on to a PhD.
    If i could do an MSc at a decent university and then have the opportunity to do a PhD at Oxbridge i would be very happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh Beavis)
    I

I was originally going to apply for Medicine within the UK, however I had a change of heart and I now want to go down the PhD route. I think i will see once I have my masters, either apply for post grad medicine (those who accept candidates with an MSc) or continue on to a PhD.
    If i could do an MSc at a decent university and then have the opportunity to do a PhD at Oxbridge i would be very happy!
    As others have already said, your university shouldn't hold you back. You have excellent grades and admissions should focus on that instead.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.