Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am having some serious thoughts about deferring my year and reapplying to better universities next year. On results day I got A*AB in Business, Geography and Maths respectively. In AS' In maths I averaged a very high A (Around 88%) however this year I seriously messed up on D1 and didn't do as well as hoped in C3 and C4. This B in maths therefore resulted in rejections from Univesity of Bath and Bristol, as in Economics an A is very much preferred. Ultimately I plan to enter a career in Finance (either IB or Asset Management) so I was wondering what people were thinking for whether to retake my maths this year to try and get an A or an A* and therefore get into a better and more prestigious university to increase graduate prospects into this industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomWoodcock)
    I am having some serious thoughts about deferring my year and reapplying to better universities next year. On results day I got A*AB in Business, Geography and Maths respectively. In AS' In maths I averaged a very high A (Around 88%) however this year I seriously messed up on D1 and didn't do as well as hoped in C3 and C4. This B in maths therefore resulted in rejections from Univesity of Bath and Bristol, as in Economics an A is very much preferred. Ultimately I plan to enter a career in Finance (either IB or Asset Management) so I was wondering what people were thinking for whether to retake my maths this year to try and get an A or an A* and therefore get into a better and more prestigious university to increase graduate prospects into this industry.
    So what would you think if you didn't achieve the higher grade, and/or didn't get the offers you want?

"prestige" is much over-rated as a pathway to good career prospects. What counts most is you and what you make of your uni experience, wherever it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomWoodcock)
    Unless you're an exceptional candidate, it's hard to break into IB/AM from a non-target uni. If you only want to study economics at university then you'll effectively have to have an A* in maths to get into the target schools that offer economics. It will be hard to get an offer from a target with a B in maths (even if you are resitting).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Unless you're an exceptional candidate, it's hard to break into IB/AM from a non-target uni. If you only want to study economics at university then you'll effectively have to have an A* in maths to get into the target schools that offer economics. It will be hard to get an offer from a target with a B in maths (even if you are resitting).
    Yeah that's the reason behind me withdrawing my application. The target universities from what I've read are mostly the G5, then places such as Bath, Bristol, Durham, LSE etc. So I shall be reapplying to a few of the top ones outside of the G5, as they mostly only require an A in maths. I have given a few of them calls, and they will likely offer a similar condition to what they did last year which was (A*AA-AAA) which is very achievable for me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.