Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope this doesn't come across as an inane question, it's something we're sort of worried about and I'm thinking that at least some have perhaps had a similar issue.
    My boyfriend is going to another university and my question is, is there any place he could stay either on or near campus for when he visits? His university is nearly three hours away (Reading) and we want to go to some events that go on till quite late and therefore, he won't be able to get the train back at those sort of hours. We're not even allowed visitors of the opposite sex let alone allowing them to stay overnight, so it's an issue.

I've been looking at hotels for us both overnight in Colchester but it's hard to find something on a student budget (Even premier inn seems to be over £90 for a night for one or two adults..) and I had no choice in a single gender flat as I was a clearing applicant and well, had to take what was given to me.. No one wants to swap so we're at a bit of an impasse.

If any current students can shed any sort of light on this situation, I would be so grateful...
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Are you staying in Sainty Quay? I was also assigned to an all female flat - moved in today and first thing I saw when I went into the kitchen was a guy cooking with one of my new female flatmates.... I know this may not be too helpful considering that I've been here less than 24 hours, but my first impression is that they're not too strict! I don't see how it could really be strictly enforced anyway; as long as your flatmates don't have a problem with it and don't snitch on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watttlebird)
    Are you staying in Sainty Quay? I was also assigned to an all female flat - moved in today and first thing I saw when I went into the kitchen was a guy cooking with one of my new female flatmates.... I know this may not be too helpful considering that I've been here less than 24 hours, but my first impression is that they're not too strict! I don't see how it could really be strictly enforced anyway; as long as your flatmates don't have a problem with it and don't snitch on you.
    Ah, I'm in the Towers so I'm not sure how I would hide him easily, I'll have to talk with my flatmates when I get there or well, if I see any of them with anyone then I doubt it'll be an issue I'm not due to move in till the 27th anyway, so we have time to look for alternative places anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie96)
    Ah, I'm in the Towers so I'm not sure how I would hide him easily, I'll have to talk with my flatmates when I get there or well, if I see any of them with anyone then I doubt it'll be an issue I'm not due to move in till the 27th anyway, so we have time to look for alternative places anyway!
    It's the first week of university, the university just want people to feel welcome and relaxed. I'm sure if you have a quiet word with your flat mates, they won't mind!
    The accommodation office would only get involved if there was a complaint which is unlikely as long as you're sensible

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.