Turn on thread page Beta

Literature and Language Fresher at Essex.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ... And a self-proclaimed poetry nerd. We'll see how I survive Freshers.

I thought it would be interesting at least to start this.

I'll be moving to campus on September 27th.. Moving in and the start of Freshers' Fortnight.. Classes start on the 5th.

I've sorted out all the important stuff, I hope at least and yeah, I'm really pretty nervous. I think I'm going to have that constant nagging feeling that I've forgotten something and knowing my luck, once I get there there will be a moment of looking in my suitcase with a "Oh sh*t! I've forgotten my laptop!" Or something like that, but here's to hoping I'm slightly more organised than that.

And in regards to Freshers.. I do like partying and all that, but not without people I know or at least my boyfriend with me. So it'll be an experience to say the least, I'm sure I'll be so grateful that my accomodation is on campus.

Oh, and accomodation... Flatmates. I hope I'm with people I can at least stand for the next academic year, and if we get along well enough to be good friends, well then, I definitely won't be complaining.

So, here's to the start of Freshers, university life, a long distance relationship and new experiences.

Stay tuned.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also going to Essex but doing law!

What accommodation are you staying in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Hi, I'm also going to Essex but doing law!

What accommodation are you staying in?
    Hey! I'll be staying in the North Towers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie96)
    Hey! I'll be staying in the North Towers
    I'm in Harwich court

What societies are you looking at joining? What are you doing in freshers also?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Harwich court

What societies are you looking at joining? What are you doing in freshers also?
    At the moment, I'm not completely sure, I may wait till the Freshers Fair to make a decision although in the mean time.. I'm sort of interested in the cheerleading and dance sort of thing, maybe take up Taekwondo or something as well! But Literature, language, theatre, music related things.. So really, a fair bit.. How about you? And I'm looking into getting a term pass to do the things on campus.. The stuff in town looks interesting but I could do that at other times, I suppose you?

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I'm not completely sure, I may wait till the Freshers Fair to make a decision although in the mean time.. I'm sort of interested in the cheerleading and dance sort of thing, maybe take up Taekwondo or something as well! But Literature, language, theatre, music related things.. So really, a fair bit.. How about you? And I'm looking into getting a term pass to do the things on campus.. The stuff in town looks interesting but I could do that at other times, I suppose you?
    Travelling, model UN, St John's ambulance, photography (something I'd like to get into), then tennis and squash and take up a new sport - hockey maybe. Oh and law.

I got the term pass, the two week pass sold out, and I didn't know what events I would go to! I'd rather get to know the campus first.

Are you looking forward to it then?

ReputationRep:
    Travelling, model UN, St John's ambulance, photography (something I'd like to get into), then tennis and squash and take up a new sport - hockey maybe. Oh and law.

I got the term pass, the two week pass sold out, and I didn't know what events I would go to! I'd rather get to know the campus first.

Are you looking forward to it then?
    There's a travelling society? I'd have to look into that.. And photography! I guess I'll have to have another look at the societies. Ah, I was looking at the 'Just play' sessions for tennis and squash, not quite sure whether I'd have any time left in a week to join the clubs!

I'm in the same boat with not knowing which events. I know I'll definitely go to some, like Breakout and the rest maybe just for the social side of things, but either way, it'll be fun, and I agree with getting to know the campus, the town could wait a week or two, maybe.

I am now, more so than I was earlier in August (I'm a clearing student) but I think it'll definitely be a good experience!

(Trying not to ramble too much, sorry! )

ReputationRep:
    There's a travelling society? I'd have to look into that.. And photography! I guess I'll have to have another look at the societies. Ah, I was looking at the 'Just play' sessions for tennis and squash, not quite sure whether I'd have any time left in a week to join the clubs!

I'm in the same boat with not knowing which events. I know I'll definitely go to some, like Breakout and the rest maybe just for the social side of things, but either way, it'll be fun, and I agree with getting to know the campus, the town could wait a week or two, maybe.

I am now, more so than I was earlier in August (I'm a clearing student) but I think it'll definitely be a good experience!

(Trying not to ramble too much, sorry! )
    It's alright, it's nice to see other people going to essex, the essex bit on here is a bit dead tbh.

I'm getting a bit nervous now if I'm being truthful! I'm just a bit worried in case I have no friends, and living away from home!

ReputationRep:
    It's alright, it's nice to see other people going to essex, the essex bit on here is a bit dead tbh.

I'm getting a bit nervous now if I'm being truthful! I'm just a bit worried in case I have no friends, and living away from home!
    Yeah, that's true.. Although, I can't say it's much better on Facebook either on Essex pages.

I think everyone's quite nervous at this stage, it's something completely new! But I don't think you'll have any trouble with friends, that's what Freshers, societies and all that is for but living away from home is daunting, but you'll have your housemates who are in the same boat, so it'll be a bonding experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's true.. Although, I can't say it's much better on Facebook either on Essex pages.

I think everyone's quite nervous at this stage, it's something completely new! But I don't think you'll have any trouble with friends, that's what Freshers, societies and all that is for but living away from home is daunting, but you'll have your housemates who are in the same boat, so it'll be a bonding experience.
    I'm sure it will be!

I'm sure I'll meet you at uni!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will be!

I'm sure I'll meet you at uni!
    Maybe!

Aha, it's certainly possible!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I have just finished my law degree at Essex and will do my LLM now there. Should you need any help or have questions about the course feel free to ask me!

^Andriana

ReputationRep:
    As this is a blog, I suppose I should really keep it updated..

One week left!

My boyfriend is off to his uni tomorrow and most of my friends have already gone, it's so weird being one of the only ones left behind because your uni starts later in the month..

But I'm excited and a little more than nervous. I'm now seriously thinking about packing and well.. What I can fit in my room (From what I gather, The Towers (my accomodation) have pretty small rooms..).

I think that's enough of one pre-departure update.

Back soon!

ReputationRep:
    I am a third year student at the University of Essex, however I am currently studying abroad for a year. When I get back to Essex uni I am going to apply for towers as it is an easy way to make new friends and it is very social, you'll have a great time! Good luck! ^Sam

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Essex! and I'm studying English Lit so I'll probably see you aha

ReputationRep:
    Arrival day!

I must admit, now I'm extremely excited. Currently in the car with a tipping box and black bags filled with no sense given to their contents - The rush this morning was far to frantic to even consider actual organisation.

Anyway, term pass ordered and all that.. Feet currently being crushed by my laptop and it's far too warm but not long now!

I look forward to meeting you all! Ha, if you want to find me, I'll be the red (well.. Orange) head with a blonde fringe and a blue shirt with grey converse looking utterly lost! Or struggling with stuff by the North towers!

I'll update when I'm settled later today see you!

ReputationRep:
    So, I haven't updated in a while...

But Freshers has been amazing and interesting to say the least.. From 3am burgers to getting warnings from security to remember my glasses. But alas, it's been fun nonetheless.

Shout out to Frangos, who have been the go-to place for me and my flatmates.

But my flatmates are fantastic and I have made so many new friends - Top tip to upcoming Freshers.. You'll be absolutely fine!

Few days left till lectures, I'll try and remember to update!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.