Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Or sodium, if we're being accurate.

We are warned all the time of the dangers of too much salt in the diet and I'm sure we could all quote how many grams you shouldn't go over in a day, but how much is too little? Does anyone have any information on the necessary daily intake of sodium? I've searched on the internet but the aforementioned upper limit is all I'm getting.

ReputationRep:
    Read this: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1407695

It's a good albeit basic summary of the evidence. The short answer is we don't really know, it would be difficult to calculate with the exception of the renal excretion studies (note we also use/lose salt elsewhere) and is likely to vary with individuals.

I've seen figures of 500-1500mg of sodium lauded about with no actual logic or research behind it though. You could attempt to calculate the average amount of salt lost through the skin, kidneys and other but, if you read the link, you'll see the renal excretion alone can vary in as much as 6g a day.

Salt isn't something to be feared though unless you already have existing kidney disease or uncontrolled hypertension/heart failure. How much you require will vary enormously on what you've been doing, what you've been eating and drink, your size etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Read this: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1407695

It's a good albeit basic summary of the evidence. The short answer is we don't really know, it would be difficult to calculate with the exception of the renal excretion studies (note we also use/lose salt elsewhere) and is likely to vary with individuals.

I've seen figures of 500-1500mg of sodium lauded about with no actual logic or research behind it though. You could attempt to calculate the average amount of salt lost through the skin, kidneys and other but, if you read the link, you'll see the renal excretion alone can vary in as much as 6g a day.

Salt isn't something to be feared though unless you already have existing kidney disease or uncontrolled hypertension/heart failure. How much you require will vary enormously on what you've been doing, what you've been eating and drink, your size etc.
    Thanks a lot for this, RollerBall! It was actually your post in another thread (that guy's shake diet) that reminded me to ask.
    My diet was very low in salt, not due to any particular design, I just don't eat much processed food, and so I started to worry I wasn't getting enough as I sweat a lot at the gym. I've started to add it to my food now as a 'just-in-case'. Seems like it's just going to be guess work unless I go and get blood work done or something.
    Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Edit - sorry, PRSOM :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Just drink water, flush it through your system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Thanks a lot for this, RollerBall! It was actually your post in another thread (that guy's shake diet) that reminded me to ask.
    My diet was very low in salt, not due to any particular design, I just don't eat much processed food, and so I started to worry I wasn't getting enough as I sweat a lot at the gym. I've started to add it to my food now as a 'just-in-case'. Seems like it's just going to be guess work unless I go and get blood work done or something.
    Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Edit - sorry, PRSOM :yy:
    To be honest, I wouldn't really worry about it unless you start to get cramps or clinical signs of dehydration such as headache/weakness/fatigue etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.