Turn on thread page Beta

How to turn down a guy without making it awkward. watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to a restaurant with my dad. A young lad he knows came in and randomly joined us as he happened to be in the restaurant at the same time.

At first I was quite attracted to him but as the conversation continued I found him a bit odd and he kept going on about the same thing so I lost interest.

He has now found me on facebook and messaged me to say he had had a nice time at the restaurant and he'd really enjoyed meeting me.

I don't want to open up the conversation so that he asks me on a date but don't want to be rude. He knows I don't have a boyfriend.

Also, he lives in my hometown and knows my dad so I really don't want Ito be awkward. He might not be asking me out but I don't want to take the chance!

Should I message back and what should I say?

ReputationRep:
    i have a bf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cressandra)
    I went to a restaurant with my dad. A young lad he knows came in and randomly joined us as he happened to be in the restaurant at the same time.

At first I was quite attracted to him but as the conversation continued I found him a bit odd and he kept going on about the same thing so I lost interest.

He has now found me on facebook and messaged me to say he had had a nice time at the restaurant and he'd really enjoyed meeting me.

I don't want to open up the conversation so that he asks me on a date but don't want to be rude. He knows I don't have a boyfriend.

Also, he lives in my hometown and knows my dad so I really don't want Ito be awkward. He might not be asking me out but I don't want to take the chance!

Just tell it like it is. Honesty is very powerful.

ReputationRep:
    He knows I don't have a boyfriend.

See I can't turn him down as he hasn't even asked me out yet. He's just messaged saying he had a nice time which is probably a lead up to asking me out but hadn't explicitly asked me out yet.

Should I just not reply?

ReputationRep:
    Just reply. As you said, he hasn't even asked you out yet.

If he does, tell him you're not interested
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    say you're so busy with work these days you won't be able to go out with anyone, even your friends, which sucks

ReputationRep:
    For god's sake just be honest.

"Want to go out sometime?"

"Sorry, I'm not interested in a date"

If he goes on to say "not a date" or whatever, then you might get to stay friends. Or he'll be a creep and make it date-like anyway, but then you can make it clear you don't appreciate that and leave or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cressandra)

Get over yourself, for all you know he could be attracted to your dad and want to know if him and your mum are serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treypound)
    Get over yourself, for all you know he could be attracted to your dad and want to know if him and your mum are serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lmao.

Just reply to him and if he asks you on a date just decline it. If you beat around the bush and say you're busy during the week or whatever then he'll probably not get the hint and ask you a second time.

ReputationRep:
    A peng ting like me go out with a butters wasteman like you? u been smokin skittles fam? (then kiss ur teeth)

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, turning someone down is always awkward so I don't know if there's any way to avoid that. Maybe for yourself but definitely not for him. You can either just not open the chat or tell him you're not interested/busy.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you're a lesbian..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vis break)
    A peng ting like me go out with a butters wasteman like you? u been smokin skittles fam? (then kiss ur teeth)
    And even if he doesn't get the message, at least you'll have put him off you for safe measure!

I vote this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    And even if he doesn't get the message, at least you'll have put him off you for safe measure!

I vote this one.
    idk dont some men like being dominated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vis break)
    idk dont some men like being dominated?
    Dominated by a trap queen? Maybe..

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.