Turn on thread page Beta

I'm struggling with AS English Lang watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had 3 lessons of AS English Lang now and although I got an A* at GCSE I feel so out of my depth. There are so many words and terms that I don't understand like alteration and stuff, simple things you got taught at high school we have just gone over and I really didn't get any of them.
    So since I have such trouble with it so much more than I thought, should I just switch now before it gets to late or do you think I will pick it up. I just feel dumb sitting there and not understanding what all these things means when I was taught them years ago. My class is great, my toutor is great as well.
    Is there anything I could do or does anyone else who did they subject before have any tips or ideas on what I could do??

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    When I started AS lang I'd forgot what a noun was lol... a lot of the early stuff is re-learning old things. Just study them - you aren't going to pick up loads of new words straight away! Just learn a few words each day and you'll get there. You'll end up using them a lot which will help you remember them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly1798)
    I've had 3 lessons of AS English Lang now and although I got an A* at GCSE I feel so out of my depth. There are so many words and terms that I don't understand like alteration and stuff, simple things you got taught at high school we have just gone over and I really didn't get any of them.
    So since I have such trouble with it so much more than I thought, should I just switch now before it gets to late or do you think I will pick it up. I just feel dumb sitting there and not understanding what all these things means when I was taught them years ago. My class is great, my toutor is great as well.
    Is there anything I could do or does anyone else who did they subject before have any tips or ideas on what I could do??

Thanks in advance!
    What sort of things do you mean? What words? Forget about "feeling dumb" -- who cares what others think. You actually have a chance to learn something, rather than recycling what you know. Stick with it, is what I say. Go beyond the comfort level.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance!
    Well you are at a massive advantage in that all the grammatical rules are already in your head and you know what sounds right and what does not. You are simply learning language to describe what is going on. Compare that to a subject like biology where you have to learn what is going on and all the names etc. to describe everything! You could also try and find a decent book which you can use to look up things after class (e.g. Sara Thorne's Mastering Advanced English Language).

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance!
    I think it's not a biggie. I had almost very similar problems in my AS Levels Eng Lang and i got an A* in the end. I think you need to think about changing your tutor perhaps. Your tutor might be really good in Eng but it's not necessary that he is a good teacher as well. A good tutor will understand your issues and will work on them from a grass root level. He/she would also need to go through Past papers and relevant marking schemes.

I 've in boxed you a very nice service that i used for this purpose. Hope that helps
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper

Thanks in advance!
    First rule is do not think just because you got an A* you will find it easy. That was your mistake. And also, forget what others got and what others here will tell you they got. You don't have the same brain, so it's literally irrelevant when they mention their grade.

Now, secondly, if you enjoyed English Lang at GCSE and are enjoying now, despite it being hard, then keep at it. I never did Philosophy/RE at GCSE, took it at A-level and it was by far my hardest subject, but I really did enjoy it nonetheless.
    Having said that, if you feel like you're not enjoying it and you just can't be bothered with the subject, don't feel bad if you want to drop it.

All I can tell you is to make sure you are going over your class work after every lesson and make sure you are practicing the examples, especially for grammar as that really hurt my head when I did it at A-level and at uni.

If you don't go over it, you will never remember it or understand it, so just do that. Remember, your teachers are there for a reason, they've been through it, they've studied it and taught it many years before so if you're really stuck just ask them.

If all fails and you haven't improved, and you really don't like it, I'd consider dropping it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.