Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yup, i'm job seeking, got an interview, interview went ok , and then the lady said, 'the next stage of the recruitment process is to work unpaid trail for a few days'

Would you do it? is it legal?

Oh wow,how has my life come to this :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I might do 1 shift, but not several days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flather)
    I might do 1 shift, but not several days
    one day seems ok, but day after day unpaid, oh God

ReputationRep:
    If I really wanted or needed a job then yes, I would. It sucks sometimes but you have to show them what skills and qualities you have. If you aren't willing to, someone else will!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperWolfPaws)
    yup, i'm job seeking, got an interview, interview went ok , and then the lady said, 'the next stage of the recruitment process is to work unpaid trail for a few days'

Would you do it? is it legal?

Oh wow,how has my life come to this :rofl:
    This is a grey area. Essentially when does a trial become full-time work? For unskilled shop work I do not think you would even need to work a full shift to demonstrate whether you were up to the job. In fact, many employers would still pay you anyway or offer to pay expenses on the trial.

I would never work unpaid. It is just bad practice. If you are desperate for a job then you could offer to do a few hours - not days - and they should cover your expenses. If they decline then they are not someone you want to work for so count yourself lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    If I really wanted or needed a job then yes, I would. It sucks sometimes but you have to show them what skills and qualities you have. If you aren't willing to, someone else will!
    as there is no guarantee i would get the job after the 3 days,If not offered the job - I would be left with a lack of confidence so bad - i would need to take a pretty heavy prosac to continue with job seeking.
    This is unskilled work too.

ReputationRep:
    Worst case scenario; three days work experience. You want to be a retail manager or something? Do it.

ReputationRep:
    A trail run, in a shop? That must be a big shop! I'd say go for it, a bit of running can't be bad for you, can it?

ReputationRep:
    I would but would put in minimum effort , it's like slavery tbh

ReputationRep:
    No way. Besides being a complete insult and a waste of my time, accepting this kind of thing only encourages big corporations to continue doing it.

Three days?? Disgusting behaviour to even ask.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Usually trial shifts last for like 1-2 hours. But three days? They're making use of free labour :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    Worst case scenario; three days work experience. You want to be a retail manager or something? Do it.
    i have 6 years retail experience already.

ReputationRep:
    i have 6 years retail experience already.
    Fair enough. If you really want the job you'll do it. If not you won't. I personally would do it, i wouldn't want to increase the risk of being out of employment for an extended period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    Fair enough. If you really want the job you'll do it. If not you won't. I personally would do it, i wouldn't want to increase the risk of being out of employment for an extended period of time.
    good point. but i know i will come out feeling a lot worse if i got exploited. i have other interviews coming up. heres to hoping i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    No they won't...not for 3 days.

OP - don't even consider it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voiceofreason234)
    No they won't...not for 3 days.

OP - don't even consider it.
    Well if I *really* needed a job and the money it would bring then yes, I would... and I have.... and I know others who have as well. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying if you need a job that badly then you will do it.

OP if you aren't bothered about getting it then no, don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    good point. but i know i will come out feeling a lot worse if i got exploited. i have other interviews coming up. heres to hoping i guess.
    Given your level of experience a trial is redundant. They are just trying to get free labour. Seeing as you have other interviews coming up, I would just be very open with them and say if they want to offer you the job they can but you are not doing an unpaid trial.

ReputationRep:
    Trial runs can and do happen. But personally I'd not be doing a trial run for three days unpaid unless I had a really good reason. That's working for free

That's kind of taking the piss.

Bearing in mind if it's an unpaid trial run- unless you do crap you more or less have the role but also if you are on unpaid trial technically they cannot mandate you to turn up at X time, leave at X, can't do a loo break at X etc..

But then again they'd just not hire you

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. Anything that you need to know/learn can be done in one day if even.

ReputationRep:
    Btw what shop is this?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.