Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just graduated with a first in geography, want to return to university next year, but i can't decide whether to do a PGCE in secondary education geography or a masters in urban planning. Is there anyway i could apply for both courses?! (I want to go to University of Birmingham either way)

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't you be able to apply for both? The only times when I would imagine this could be a problem is if your applications were going to end up with the same admissions committee as you might then look a little... uncertain...! This doesn't seem as if it's likely to be the case here.

You might be on slightly dodgier ground if you accept a place (e.g. on the PGCE) and then actively pursue the Masters application... lots of people would do this but it is not strictly ethical.

Surely it's standard behaviour for people to apply for multiple courses/jobs as you can't be certain which you will be offered.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to be a teacher or not?

You could do the MSc first then the PGCE after. Even if you're applying for both courses at the same time (which is fine) you'll only be able to do one at a time so try and focus on your priorities. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If it was me, I'd do the MA/MSc and then the PGCE.

Will help you stand out more in the teaching applicant field, and won't limit you to just teaching....only thing then is finances. What are your options financially?

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely fine to apply to both.

However… I would query the benefit of doing a Masters in Urban Planning if your long term goal is to be a teacher. I'd respectfully disagree with the above poster that a Masters would significantly help you in a job application (it might help you get an interview, but then the deciding factor is likely to be the quality of your teaching). And it's another year of high cost as there's not likely to be any help with Masters funding.

If you're not sure whether to teach or not, and you can afford the money, then hedge your bets, apply for both, you've got another year to make up your mind and it keeps your options open either way. It'd be a good idea to get experience in a school to bolster a PGCE application.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but they probably will only consider one after another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LyleMU93)
    Just graduated with a first in geography, want to return to university next year, but i can't decide whether to do a PGCE in secondary education geography or a masters in urban planning. Is there anyway i could apply for both courses?! (I want to go to University of Birmingham either way)
    You can apply for both, but both are full time intensive courses, with PGCE perhaps more so, so you couldn't do both at the same time. Also consider if you want another two years of university before you start in the world of work.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.