Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tips Here for GCSE AQA English Lang Paper 1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd share my class note with you, hope you find them useful and good luck tomorrow!

Section A – Non Fiction Texts

•Read through the whole paper (including questions) before beginning to answer.

•Annotate the texts as you read them

•As soon as you read a text ask yourself what is the audience, purpose and form and ask “how do I know this?”

•Spend roughly 1 minute per mark

•Examiners want clear and specific answers rather than waffle and generalisations

•If you’re asked to list ‘n’ number of points, list them separately rather than lumping them together

•When summarising points ensure that you put them in your own words adding analytical comment if more than one mark is on offer

•If you’re asked to analyse a writer’s language, do so specifically. “The language is simple” or “uses lots of alliteration” will not gain marks. State why particular words and phrases will have an effect on the intended audience

•Use quotations as evidence to prove what you are saying is correct and add comment to explain it.

•If you’re asked to explore the use of fact and opinion be alert. Some unsubstantiated opinions can be presented as fact.

- The comparative question is worth most marks so spend longer on it.

•Ensure you follow all the bullet points in the question, remembering each bullet point has an equal weighting

•If you are asked about a text’s structure (“how has the writer organised his ideas?”) you must explain why points have been made in the order that they have. If stuck, imagine the writer’s plan – introduction, identification of problems, evidence/proof, solution, anecdote, expert opinion, statistics, dealing with objectives, conclusion.

•When analysing a text’s presentation and layout remember to include analysis of font, images, white space, headline, sub-headings, colour, caption, texts in relation to images etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can add some more if anyone is interested.

ReputationRep:
    yeah they'rre useful

ReputationRep:
    Hey Keisha!!

Thanks very much for that- it was really useful! Good luck tomorrow, though i am sure you will do well!!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Section B: Writing to Argue, Persuade or Advise

•Plan, proof-read

•Avoid the advice question unless you are desperate! You are far better at arguing and persuading

•Before planning your work, ask yourself: who is the audience? What is the purpose? Then adapt you language accordingly (e.g. a speech to a teenage audience will require a lot less formality than a letter to a newspaper)

•You must consider the form you have been asked to use and the structure and conventions of this form.

•You must know the structure/conventions of an article, an essay, a formal letter, a personal letter, an informative leaflet etc.

•Forms like an article or leaflet often contain graphics and non-standard font – but don’t waste time producing a work of art. It’s fine to draw a box and simply label it “a picture of…”

•Use the texts from Section A as inspiration but never simply copy text and pretend it’s your own – examiners aren’t that stupid!

•Examiners are often stressed people who have to read hundred of sometimes boring scripts: be original and you will be justly awarded

•Neat presentation automatically impresses examiners and attracts extra marks

•Correct usage of semi-colons, apostrophes, colons and paragraphs are all worth lots of marks

•A “C-Grade” candidate will never write less than 2 sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    Hey Keisha!!

Thanks very much for that- it was really useful! Good luck tomorrow, though i am sure you will do well!!

Lou
    xxx

Ah, it's okay! It's quite good as revision as well actually! Anyway good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    This is such a stupid question, but how exactly do you set letters out?
    Is it your name and details in the top right, and the receiver's in the left?
    Also what exactly do you put, is it dear sirs, dear whoever..I know partly but just need it clarifying! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Keisha, I have my english language exam tomorrow as well, so thank you for the notes!
    Spiral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    Section B: Writing to Argue, Persuade or Advise

•You must consider the form you have been asked to use and the structure and conventions of this form.

•A “C-Grade” candidate will never write less than 2 sides.
    Just two questions:

Firstly, if it's an article in a newspaper that they're asking you to write for example am I right in thinking that you have to go the whole way with drawing columns, having a headline/byline?

Secondly, I have some past papers (AQA) which urge you NOT to write more than two sides of the answer book for the persuasive bit..so isn't that the maximum that we should be writing??

Thanks for the list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma.....)
    This is such a stupid question, but how exactly do you set letters out?
    Is it your name and details in the top right, and the receiver's in the left?
    Also what exactly do you put, is it dear sirs, dear whoever..I know partly but just need it clarifying! :rolleyes:

Dear Sir/Madam = yours Faithfully

Dear Mr/Mrs = yours Sincerely

Yeah the rest of the layout is correct except for the receiver's details have to be on the left set below your details.

It's not a stupid question at all because I did a letter question in the Mocks, without the correct layout so lost 9 marks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrewd_kitten)
    Just two questions:

Firstly, if it's an article in a newspaper that they're asking you to write for example am I right in thinking that you have to go the whole way with drawing columns, having a headline/byline?

Secondly, I have some past papers (AQA) which urge you NOT to write more than two sides of the answer book for the persuasive bit..so isn't that the maximum that we should be writing??

Thanks for the list

I'm not sure about the columns but you have to do a large headline

They do say that 2 sides is the suggested amount to ensure that you are being clear and concise, and not waffling. But I'm sure they are not going to penalise you for an extra paragraph here or there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks kiesha! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrewd_kitten)
    Thanks kiesha! :rolleyes:
    It's okay!

ReputationRep:
    "If you are asked about a text’s structure (“how has the writer organised his ideas?”) you must explain why points have been made in the order that they have. If stuck, imagine the writer’s plan – introduction, identification of problems, evidence/proof, solution, anecdote, expert opinion, statistics, dealing with objectives, conclusion."

^^ dont think i understood that...how ud i analysis the structure cud u give an example?

"•When analysing a text’s presentation and layout remember to include analysis of f white space, headline, sub-headings, caption,"

how do u analyse white spaces?
    captions and subheadings?

ReputationRep:
    bloody hell, i just got neg repped for my response in this thread

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.