Turn on thread page Beta

I'm addicted to doughuts watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im trying to be healthy after putting weight on after having my son two years ago. I'm now only 2 stone overweight and do slowly seem to be losing weight. I've never been one to order loads of takeaways or eat out loads. I don't cook very fattening food at home or drink sugary drinks. But I love dessert, particularly doughnuts! I can resist most desserts most of the time but I just love doughnuts soooo much!

I have one at 11pm, 1pm and 5pm. Sometimes I have 4 in one day but always at least two. It's so bad for me but if I try not to have one I get grumpy and the craving just down't go. I don't get the ring doughnuts but ones like krispy kreme with topping and filling. So even more fattening.

What can I do!!!? Any healthy alternatives or dessert substitutes? Or will I need to go cold turkey? I have heard of baked doughnuts but I'm not convinced

ReputationRep:
    10k run daily

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    doughuts
    doug huts
    huts doug
    hots doug
    hot dogs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Can I lick your ringed doughnut? I'll fill it with custard for you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds delicious . Have you tried replacing them with high sugar fruits? Water melon is a really good one. Firstly make sure there are no doughnuts in the house!! Then when you get a craving eat a sugary fruit and give it 10 minutes to kick in. If it doesn't kick in and you're feeling really agitated then take some deep breaths and distract yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go cold turkey, you'll get used to not eating it after a while.

mmmmmmm doughnuts....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    Sounds delicious . Have you tried replacing them with high sugar fruits? Water melon is a really good one. Firstly make sure there are no doughnuts in the house!! Then when you get a craving eat a sugary fruit and give it 10 minutes to kick in. If it doesn't kick in and you're feeling really agitated then take some deep breaths and distract yourself.
    Thank you. Yes I will try that. I always buy then on my lunch break and eat the pack. It's ridiculous. I need to try and stop going in the shops in the first place.

I do love fruit, especially melon and pineapple. I should try them as a substitute as I would feel so much happier after eating something healthy.

I walk 3 -5 miles every day so can have extra calories but I'm trying to take in healthier calories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowKiwi)
    I'd go cold turkey, you'll get used to not eating it after a while.

mmmmmmm doughnuts....
    Thats a terryfying thought. Maybe I should haha. I would be interested to see if the cravings do go.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the prospect of acquiring Type 2 diabetes and the complications that come with it - heart disease, kidney disease, blindness, nerve damage and limb amputations enough to put you off maintaining this addiction?

ReputationRep:
    have 1 litre of water before your meal. if you're thirsty after your meal, you haven't drunk enough before it. it will make you feel full up and thus reduce cravings.

healthier alternatives for dessert - cereal (50g bowl of wholegrain cereal like coco shreddies with 125ml of semi skimmed milk is roughly 250kcal, same as a sugary doughnut), onken flavoured yoghurt (a whole big pot yoghurt is roughly 350kcal which is equivalent to 1.5 doughnuts or 1 krispy kreme doughnut. it also has a lot more water so will make you full, good levels of calcium and protein and is fat free). muller rice yoghurt - each pot is roughly 180kcal - good levels of calcium. or you can have some good old healthy fresh fruit! natural sugar plus fibre!

consume more protein + water as protein takes longer for the body to break down and so will make you feel more full and reduce cravings.

regularly weigh yourself as well. it will either be motivation if you're losing weight or will put you off binging or giving in to cravings if you're gaining weight.

if you can control it. try and cut down to 1 doughnut a day and slowly faze it out or have 1 or 2 each week as a treat for your dieting but make sure it doesn't lead to binging.

hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    Im trying to be healthy after putting weight on after having my son two years ago. I'm now only 2 stone overweight and do slowly seem to be losing weight. I've never been one to order loads of takeaways or eat out loads. I don't cook very fattening food at home or drink sugary drinks. But I love dessert, particularly doughnuts! I can resist most desserts most of the time but I just love doughnuts soooo much!

I have one at 11pm, 1pm and 5pm. Sometimes I have 4 in one day but always at least two. It's so bad for me but if I try not to have one I get grumpy and the craving just down't go. I don't get the ring doughnuts but ones like krispy kreme with topping and filling. So even more fattening.

What can I do!!!? Any healthy alternatives or dessert substitutes? Or will I need to go cold turkey? I have heard of baked doughnuts but I'm not convinced
    you must mean doughnuts. I guess your fingers have become too fat for the 'n' button

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.